Chicken Tortellini Soup
Total comfort food in a bowl. This Chicken Tortellini Soup is loaded with veggies, cheesy tortellini, and chicken, all swimming in a savory broth.
Chicken tortellini soup quickly became a family favorite because it is just that tasty. This is sure to be a soup you eat all year long.
Aren’t soups in the winter just so nice? I don’t know about you guys, but it is sure cold where I am. I love a great hearty bowl of soup and some fresh bread when I am cozy inside on a winter evening. This soup was a real winner. My mom shared it with me. It is her basic chicken noodle soup recipe, but instead of noodles, she tossed in some premade tortellini from Costco. They were fresh and stuffed with cheese. The combination of a great broth and the cheesey goodness of the fresh tortellini really hit the spot. Yum! And it was so easy.
This recipe feeds about 8 people, so feel free to cut it down some. The trick is cooking the soup and then in the final few minutes adding in the tortellini, broccoli and cauliflower. That way you still get the beautiful flavors of broccoli and cauliflower without them turning to mush, and your tortellini will be perfectly cooked as well.
I was amazed how quickly this meal came together and how yummy it was. Everyone really enjoyed it, and the addition of the tortellini made it filling enough that we weren’t back in the kitchen an hour later looking for snacks.
I recommend serving it with Garlic Bread Twists, as they are the perfect compliment to this meal. I also want to note that there are not a lot of seasonings in this soup, the Better than Bouillon adds great flavor, but if you find the broth is lack luster, please season accordingly. I often go a little light on the salt, and while the cheese tortellini adds a punch of flavor, you don’t want the broth to be bland!
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 Tbs olive oil extra virgin
- 3-4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-4 stalks celery chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon adjust to preference
- 2 cups cauliflower chopped small
- 2 cups cooked chicken rotisserie chicken is fine
- 2 cups broccoli florets chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 2 Tbs parsley fresh, finely chopped
- Put 1 Tbs of cooking oil in bottom of soup pot, add onions, carrots, and celery, saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
You can make your own chicken stock, or use pre-made.
- Add in the chicken bouillon, taste at this point to make sure your broth has enough flavor. Season accordingly.
- Cook vegetables in stock until almost tender.
- Add already cooked, and shredded chicken to soup pot.
- When vegetables are tender and chicken is mixed in, bring pan to a slow boil.
- Add in cauliflower and let cook about one minute.
- Add in tortellini and let cook 2-3 minutes until tender
- With about one minute left until Tortellini is cooked fully, add in broccoli.
- Let cook one final minute, remove from heat.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your soup board on Pinterest: