Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup: An easy to make, mouthwatering, and total comfort food soup that comes together in minutes, and simmers to combine flavors all day. Chicken tortilla soup is amazing. Making it in the slow cooker makes it even better. This soup means coming home to dinner ready, and flavor abounding.
This is a great fall soup! Or summer soup. Or anytime soup. It is so easy. If you can open a few cans and cook some chicken, you can make this soup. And, the slow cooking allows the flavors to combine to make something truly magical.
I have always loved soup in the cooler months, and living in a state like UT means I get to eat soup a lot. But with a soup like this one I do not mind a bit. One thing that is really great about this soup is that you can garnish it with all of your favorite things like tortilla strips, sour cream, guacamole, etc. Or you can eat it as is. Either way it is going to be delicious.
This bright and vibrant soup is great in the winter as a comfort food, but the nice thing about it is that it also boasts a lot summer flavors like corn and tomatoes, making it an easy summer option as well. I love using my crock pot in the summers because it keeps the house from getting hot, and means I can spend the day in the sunshine while the slow cooker does all the work and makes my dinner.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Tips:
- Flavor that chicken! So one of the reasons I love this soup is you just need cooked and chunked or shredded chicken. When I am in a rush I will use a rotisserie chicken, which is flavorful and delicious, and super easy. When I am cooking the chicken myself I like to give it a nice sprinkle of salt and pepper, but will also often rub a little cumin and chili powder on it so that I get even more flavor to impart to the soup.
- Add the corn last if using fresh. I love adding fresh tomatoes and fresh corn when I make this during the summer. If using fresh corn, add it in about 5 minutes before you serve so that it doesn’t get soggy.
- Tortilla Strips are Essential: it is Chicken TORTILLA soup after all. That crunch and added texture is key to this soup blowing you away. And if you want even more flavor, you could buy the tortilla strips that are flavored. I love the santa fe ones.
- Garnish liberally. The slow cooker soup is kind of a base to hold your avocado, cheese, sour cream, and all those other yummy toppers like cilantro.
If you love fall or winter soups be sure to try these:
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb chicken cooked and shredded
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can whole kernel sweet corn or you can use fresh or frozen
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- Tortilla strips
- sour cream
- Cook and shred chicken.
- Open and dump all canned ingredients into crock pot.
- Add in spices.
- Put lid on
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours to let flavors combine
- Garnish with favorite toppings, especially the tortilla strips, eat hot!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your SOUP board on Pinterest: