Tender bites of chicken, peppers, and pineapple all tossed in a sweet and tangy sticky sauce. This chicken dish is the perfect midweek meal.
Hawaiian chicken is fun because its minimal prep and satisfies those nights when you are craving a dish with a little bit sweeter of a flavor accompanied with some tang. This Hawaiian chicken is a meal that will get you full without feeling sluggish. Adapt the Hawaiian Chicken recipe cooking method and throw chicken in a slow cooker and make it a crockpot Hawaiian chicken.
Even if you can’t make it to the islands, you can give your tastebuds a luau with this sweet and tangy Hawaiian Chicken. It is similar to a sweet and sour chicken, with tender bites of chicken and peppers, and the perfect sweetness of chunked pineapple, all tossed together in a delicious sauce, and it comes together in under 30 minutes, making this a great weeknight meal solution.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Chicken pinboard!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest
Hawaiian Chicken is a crowd pleaser. This Hawaiian chicken recipe consists of tender chicken drizzled with a sweet, tangy sauce. Great for nights when you want a filling, tasty meal.
What Are Some Hawaiian Foods?
I really enjoy a lot of Hawaiian food. There are definitely some treasures. I mean honestly, if you haven’t tried Hawaiian Shave Ice or Malasada, then you are missing out.
Now don’t get me wrong, just like in any culture, there is some food I could do without, like poi or spam, but to each its own. If you are looking to bring more Hawaiian food into the kitchen, there are plenty of options.
- Poke—A salad containing raw fish
- Kalua Pig
- Grilled Pineapple
- Chicken Long Rice
- and of course…Hawaiian chicken!
Hawaiian Chicken is a flavorful, easy recipe that can be made any time of the year and highlights a Hawaiian gold mine–pineapple. It has a lot of flavor, and is extremely fun for a weeknight meal.
What is Hawaiian Chicken?
Hawaiian chicken is chicken breasts in a sweet tangy Hawaiian inspired sauce.
Once you try Hawaiian Chicken you will wonder why you haven’t been making it for years. So, what is Hawaiian Chicken? Think Teriyaki chicken with a little more zip.
Instead of just having a marinade or sauce that consists of brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger as a base, like most teriyaki sauces have, Hawaiian chicken kicks it up a notch with the use of barbecue sauce or ketch-up and pineapple juice. This creates a great rich flavor, adding a little zing and making the sauce produce a fun flavor. Pure deliciousness!
How Do You Make Hawaiian Rice?
Hawaiian Chicken pairs nicely over white, brown, or cauliflower rice. However, if you want to really make your dinner pop and make it super fun, make some Hawaiian rice to go with the Hawaiian Chicken recipe!
So how do you make it? There are a couple different takes on Hawaiian rice. You can make a basic rice, but instead of just using water to cook you can use things like coconut milk or pineapple juice as part of your liquid component. Then add pineapple or anything else you want in the rice.
Another option is making a Hawaiian fried rice. The method is similar to a Asian fried rice. However, instead of using vegetables like peas and carrots, use vegetables like bell peppers and green onions. Also throw in some pineapple and ham to really give is some Hawaiian flare. Obviously, for the Hawaiian Chicken stir fry here, a fried rice may not pair that well, but it would be a great side. Here is how to make it:
Basic Steps for a Fried Rice
- Cook rice
- Saute veggies with desired spices and oil
- Section off a side of the pan and add eggs and scramble
- Add cooked egg to mixed veggies
- Add soy sauce to rice and mix in
- Mix all ingredients together in pan and continue to heat until desired temperature
I am sure you will love this Hawaiian Chicken recipe and if you are looking for another chicken stir fry recipe to add to your meal rotation try Eazy Peazy Mealz Freezer Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl. Not only is it delicious, but you make ahead can freeze it to save for a convenient meal for one of those crazy weeknights.
More Great Recipes
- Butter Chicken (Low Carb, Keto)
- Lemon Butter Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packs
- Honey Baked Ham
- Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken, Mushrooms, and Broccoli
- Honey Dijon Chicken Cobb Salad
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts diced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced bell peppers red, orange, yellow mix
- 1 fresh pineapple diced
- 3 cups Cooked white rice
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbs dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper then add to the skillet.
- Sear outside until a nice golden crust forms.
- Remove chicken from pan, add in peppers and saute for 3-5 minutes until tender, remove from pan
- Add sauce ingredients to pan, and bring to a simmer, add chicken back in, and cook on medium-low heat, letting sauce reduce while chicken cooks through.
- Add peppers and pineapple to pan, and cook a few minutes more, until sauce is thick, sticky, and glossy, and peppers are tender
- Serve over cooked white rice.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.