Butter Chicken: This creamy, spiced, and absolutely delicious butter chicken is the perfect low carb meal. Serve it over cauliflower rice for a complete meal that is flavorful and filling.
Butter chicken is a creamy and rich chicken dish flavored with Indian spices, and cooked with some tomatoes, and cream. It is rich, vibrant in flavor, and seriously so delicious. It is one of our top family favorite meals, and while we have been making Indian Butter Chicken for ages, I wanted to make a low carb or keto-friendly version.
In early 2018 I got the chance to visit India, you can read a little about it our visit to Delhi here. Anyway, we spent about 10 days exploring India, starting in Delhi, and going to Agra to see the Taj Mahal and Jaipur for the Holi festival. It was an amazing experience, and one of the things I loved was being able to try so many versions of my favorite: Butter Chicken!
Food in India is so full of flavor. So many spices. So much color. And Butter Chicken is one of my top faves. Probably because I like anything with cream. Mmmm. Anyway, after trying tons of different versions, and after testing and testing, I have come up with what I think is a killer recipe for a low-carb butter chicken. It isn’t lacking in flavor or ease. Just carbs!
Low Carb (Keto) Indian Butter Chicken
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chunked into one inch pieces
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion medium
- 1/2 Tbs ginger paste or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 cup tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- In a gallon sized zip top bag, add all ingredients for chicken Squeeze the bag to mix it all together and coat the chicken. Refrigerate for 2 hours minimum.
- Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add onions to the skillet, cook until softened and starting to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Then add the chicken (with the marinade) to the same skillet, and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, and pureed tomatoes.
- Turn temperature to low, put lid on, let simmer 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced and thicker.
- Stir the heavy whipping cream into the sauce.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, if desired.
Pin to your Keto or Low Carb board on Pinterest: