Sponsored post by Mirum. All opinions are my own.
Ice Cream Cake
Delicious and simple homemade ice cream cake, layered with cookies, brownies, and not one but two types of cookie ice cream, and plenty of hot fudge sauce.
This layered ice cream cake is easy to make, and far less expensive than buying an ice cream cake at the store. Plus it tastes a lot better too.
I can’t even believe the kids are already heading back to school. We had an awesome summer with fun road trips, kayaking, paddle boarding, hikes with the dogs, and plenty of our favorite ice cream from Breyers, Magnum and Ben & Jerry’s to bring along. We definitely worked hard on our Summer BucketList which you can see here.
Now I am taking my favorite ice cream, Breyers 2in1, and making it into an ice cream cake!
How to Make Ice Cream Cake:
You guys, I can’t believe how many years I have let go by without making a homemade ice cream cake.
I am obsessed with ice cream, and this summer with Ice Cream Rewards, we have been enjoying lots of our favorite Unilever ice cream. I have loved $5 reward for every $20 of Unilever ice cream I buy.
You should sign up for rewards too!
Back to this ice cream cake.
I know, I know, you can buy them already made at the store. And they taste great. But I love being able to not only control the flavors of every layer of the ice cream cake, but make it just how I want it.
And this cake is everything I want in an ice cream cake, and while it does take some time and patience as you need to let things chill and set between layers so it doesn’t become a big blob, it is really quite easy to make.
Give yourself a day or two before you need the ice cream cake so you do not have to stress and can give it plenty of time to set up.
Steps for an easy ice cream cake:
To make this homemade ice cream cake you essentially do the following:
- Bake brownies, then cool
- Make hot fudge sauce and mix with cookies. Or pour cookies on brownies, and cover with hot fudge sauce. Then cool.
- Layer ice cream on all of that. And chill.
- Add more hot fudge. And chill again.
- Slice and serve.
Ice Cream Cake Recipe Ingredients
When it comes to ice cream cake, I want rich, delicious, and all the cookies, chocolate and cold, creamy ice cream I can get.
This cake delivers. It is a rich layered ice cream cake, with a layer of thick and fudgy brownie bottom, a hot fudge and cookie center that adds crunch, and not one, but two ice cream cookie flavors thanks to Breyers 2in1 Oreo Chips Ahoy! Frozen Dairy Dessert. Then it is topped with more fudge sauce for a tasty, fantastic dessert.
One of my favorite parts of this cake is that I got to have the flavors of OREO and Chips Ahoy without needing two cartons of ice cream. And I they are all swirled together, again making my life easier.
With Breyers 2in1 Oreo Chips Ahoy! Frozen Dairy Dessert.
This is one of my favorite ice creams, as you get two favorite cookies, swirled together in a sweet, creamy treat of Breyers®!
And you can make it even sweeter: Right now, when you spend $20 on Unilever ice cream, like this Breyers 2in1, you can get a $5 reward. Go to icecreamrewards.com to learn how.
Where can you find this ice cream?
Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Tom Thumb, ACME, Shaws and Carrs!
What Is In This Layered Ice Cream Cake?
- Sandwich Cookies
- Hot Fudge Sauce
- Breyers 2in1 Oreo Chips Ahoy! Frozen Dairy Dessert
Homemade Ice Cream Cake Tips
Ice Cream Cake Tips
- Use a springform pan to make it easier to remove and serve the ice cream cake. But if you do not have one, layer a deep round cake pan with parchment so you can build your cake with its structure.
- To make layering easier: Soften the ice cream, and give it a good stir before adding it to your springform pan to layer it. This will help it create a smooth, uniform texture.
- Clear a space in your freezer so you have room for the ice cream cake, and it can sit flat, to allow each layer to set up flat.
- Freeze the cake for 15-30 minutes between adding each layer. You need the individual layers to set up and chill completely.
- Give yourself time to prepare the cake. The brownie layer has to cook and cool. The hot fudge sauce and cookie mixture has to cool, and the ice cream has to set up. It takes time.
- Let the whole cake sit in the freezer overnight to insure it is set up and all the layers stick together.
- Let it sit on the counter at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving so it will not be a solid block. You don’t want it melting, but you do want to be able to slice it, and for people to be able to eat it without bending their flatware.
- Run a sharp knife under hot water, then slice to get a clean cut.
Easy Ice Cream Cake Hacks
While this is a pretty easy ice cream cake recipe, I know that sometimes we have no time, and want things to be even easier. So if you just need something you can throw together, even faster, consider the following.
- Buy brownies: But make sure you have a similar pan size so you can get your ice cream to be the same size.
- Buy fudge sauce: Don’t heat it up, instead mix it with the cookies and dump over the brownies, then spread it out.
- Line a pan with parchment and spread out the ice cream. If you do not have the springform pan, or choose to go the already made route for the brownies and fudge sauce, you are going to want to shape your ice cream before you combine everything. Put it in a pan the same size as the brownies, and lien that pan with parchment so you can easily remove the ice cream once it is set up. Then when you are ready to assemble, pop it out, mix the cookies and fudge sauce together. Layer everything, and freeze to allow the layers to set up and adhere to one another.
Ice Cream Social
Now that we have this amazing ice cream cake, that is seriously sooooooo stinking good, we need a fun occasion to eat it. Right?
We decided to say goodbye to summer and cross off the rest of our bucket list by hosting an ice cream social.
I made this easy homemade ice cream cake, we decorated with a balloon garland, and we bought all our favorite ice cream flavors and fixings for a fun ice cream party.
Then we invited cousins and friends to come enjoy the festivities.
We had cones in lots of flavors and sizes. Sprinkles. Hot fudge and caramel. And of course plenty of Unilever ice cream!
Our Ice Cream of Choice:
- Breyers 2-in-1’s
- Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Core
- Magnum Mini’s and Double Tubs
If you can’t tell, we have been taking full advantage of summer and also Ice Cream Rewards!
Ice Cream Rewards
You can earn a $5 reward when you spend $20 on Unilever ice cream brands! And you do this with 3 easy steps.
- BUY $20 of Unilever ice cream products in one or multiple transactions
- SNAP A photo of your receipt(s)
- CHOOSE Your $5 in rewards!
So basically, if you spend $20 on participating Unilever ice cream brands, you’ll receive a $5 reward of either a Fandango movie gift card or Virtual Visa card, when you take a photo of your receipt and upload it to IceCreamRewards.com to receive your $5 reward
Tips for a Fun and Easy Party
- Keep it simple. Classic toppings, lots of cones, and simple decor.
- Offer lots of options for fun ice cream treats.
- Do it outside, or indoor/outdoor to reduce mess.
- Play yard games to keep everyone entertained: Bocce, Frisbee Golf, Beanbag toss, Hopscotch, Red Rover, and more!
- Four Ingredient Cake Mix Cookies
- Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars
- Ice Cream Cake
- 7 UP Cake
- Rainbow Chip Mug Cake
Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
- 18.3 ounces chocolate brownie mix 1 box, prepared according to package directions
- 1.5 quart Breyers 2in1 Oreo Chips Ahoy! Frozen Dairy Dessert
- 8 ounces Sandwich cookies chopped or crushed (about ½ a standard sized package)
Hot Fudge Sauce
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 2 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 9 x 3 inch (or larger) springform pan
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Whatever ingredients the boxed brownie mix you choose calls for
- Spray springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the chocolate brownie mix of choice according to package directions and pour into a sprayed 9x 3 inch or larger springform pan, bake according to package directions and let cool completely.
- Make hot fudge sauce (beloand chop sandwich cookies into small-ish chunks and place in a bowl.
- When hot fudge sauce is done, pour half the hot fudge sauce over the sandwich cookies in the bowl, and stir to coat.
- Let hot fudge sauce and cookie mixture cool slightly, then spread over the top of the brownie in the springform pan.
- Put in freezer for 15-30 minutes to let chill.
- Meanwhile, take Breyers 2in1 Oreo Chips Ahoy! Frozen Dairy Dessert out of the freezer for 5 -10 minutes to let it soften.
- Once the cookie and fudge mixture is cooled, spread Breyers 2in1 Oreo Chips Ahoy! Frozen Dairy Dessert over the top, filling the springform pan.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes until ice cream layer is firm.
- Take remaining hot fudge sauce, and pour over the top of the ice cream to make your final layer.
- Place the whole ice cream cake in the freezer overnight, or until solid.
- About 20 minutes before you want to serve, remove cake from freezer.
- Run a butter knife under hot water, and run it along the edge of the springform pan to loosen the ice cream and brownie from the edges.
- Open springform pan and remove outer ring.
- Slice and serve!
- Optional: Decorate top with additional sandwich cookies and whipped cream.
Hot Fudge Sauce
- Stir brown sugar and cocoa powder together in a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add unsalted butter and heavy whipping cream together, and bring to a soft boil.
- Let boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in brown sugar and cocoa powder mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and salt.
- Whisk, and let sit a minute to thicken.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.