Monte Cristo Chicken:
A baked chicken breast smothered a creamy honey dijon and mushroom sauce, topped with a mild swiss cheese and canadian bacon, creates a dish with all the flavors of a monte cristo sandwich, but in a simple easy to prepare one pan dish.
This easy chicken breast recipe, has similarities to a chicken cordon bleu, blanketed in bacon and cheese but the prep is quicker. Unlike a chicken cordon bleu recipe this monte cristo chicken has no stuffing or breading, just beautiful flavors that melt in your mouth. It’s quick to mix up the sauce then thrown it all into a cooking dish, bake it up and you’re done.
What kind of sandwich is a Monte Cristo?
A Monte Cristo is a mix between a ham and swiss cheese sandwich mixed with french toast. Sometimes served with sprinkled powdered sugar and jam, an combination of sweet and savory.
This recipe is like a Monte Cristo Sandwich and a stuffed chicken breast mixed together. Also known as Monte Carlo chicken it has the creamy and savory elements with just a touch of sweetness.
How do you make a Monte Cristo?
The elements of a monte cristo sandwich are:
- White bread
- Dijon mustard and mayo
- Dipped in an egg mixture
- Then Fried like a grilled cheese
You might be looking for a meal that’s a little lighter, though and isn’t fried. Baked Chicken breast recipes are the way to go. Let’s talk about chicken breast recipes for a second. Why use an oven baked chicken breast rather than eat a regular monte cristo sandwich?
- A chicken breast are protein which helps you stay fuller longer.
- Chicken breast calories are low coming at about 150 for a 3oz serving
- Chicken breast are full of B6 vitamins which help in brain function, and serotonin creation.
- Oven baked chicken retains moisture and flavor while being low fat.
No need to google “chicken breast in oven” when you have this handy recipe in your pocket.
Where does the Monte Cristo sandwich come from?
New Orleans square at Disneyland. Ok not really, but Disneyland does have some awesome Monte Cristo sandwiches. The Monte Cristo is a variation on the French sandwich Croque Monsieur. Croque Monsieur means crunchy mister in english, isn’t that fun? Basically, you create a crunchy cheesy crust on the outside of a ham and cheese sandwich. With a Monte Cristo recipe the cheese is only on the inside of the sandwich and an egg mixture is used to crisp the outside.This Monte Cristo chicken can be made into a sandwich, but for sure can be a stand alone meal.
Want some more fun and easy chicken recipes to prepare? Try these!
More Great Recipes
- Keto Chili
- Instant Pot Lasagna
- Beef Stuffed Zucchini Boats ( Low Carb)
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breast Air Fryer
Monte Cristo Chicken
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs honey
- ½ cup cream of mushroom soup
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic granulated
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 Tbs chives chopped
- ½ cup white rice uncooked
- 2 Tbs dijon mustard does not go in sauce
- 6 chicken breasts
- 12 slices Canadian Bacon
- 6 slices Swiss Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F,
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl, set aside
- Pound 6 chicken breasts, so they are at an even thickness and will cook evenly
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, sprinkle white rice over the bottom
- Place 6 chicken breasts over top of rice.
- Spread dijon mustard over the chicken breasts.
- Layer Canadian Bacon over the top of the chicken
- Spread sauce mixture over the top of it all
- Top with slices of Swiss cheese
- Bake covered 40-45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes until golden brown and sauce is thickened.
- Garnish with herbs if desired
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Chicken board on Pinterest: