This post for Rainbow Macaroni Salad first appeared on Real Housemoms, where I am a contributor.
Rainbow Macaroni Salad: A light and delicious macaroni salad loaded with rainbow colored veggies. This is my favorite pasta salad. Tons of flavor, easy to make, and easy to customize to your preference. Great summer side.
I have always thought that calling a salad “dressed” was kind of funny. Like, when I read a description that says, “Lovely greens, and julienned vegetables, dressed in a light, airy vinaigrette”! Makes me laugh every time. But just like how you dress can make a difference in how you are perceived, with this Rainbow Macaroni Salad, how it is dressed makes a difference in how amazing it is.
I have always had a hard time with pasta salads because I am not one to layer on the mayo. But this pasta salad dressing is perfection. It is like those jeans that hug all the right curves, and that shirt that flatters without showing any of the problem areas. Or those perfect peep toe shoes. You get the idea. It is my go to “outfit” because it is dressed to impress, and tastes just so dang amazing.
Rainbow Macaroni Salad is dressed with the perfect slightly tangy, slightly sweet, not too heavy on the mayo, and all things you probably already have –dressing. And the array of veggies, cheese, and olives give it layers of flavor you just want to indulge in!
Because I pretty much always have what I need to make it, and can kind of clean out the fridge to make the rainbow, this pasta salad has become a go-to. But no one is complaining because it tastes awesome.
Light, convenience cooking is kind of my jam in the summer, and this is just tossing stuff together, all I have to cook are the noodles. And boiling some water is about all I can handle during the summer. I mean kids… home… all day! It is exhausting. So if you are anything like me, you will love Rainbow Macaroni Salad as an ideal solution for take to work lunches, or summer sides. Toss in some grilled chicken for a full meal!
Rainbow Macaroni Salad served in these clear dishes is a fun way to show off all the color and textures this salad has to offer!
Tips for Rainbow Macaroni Pasta Salad:
- Chill it overnight to get those snappy flavors to really come out. Give it time to meld and develop! Don’t worry if you make and serve it right away, it will still be awesome.
- Make it a meal by adding grilled chicken.
- Cook noodles al dente. They will still absorb a little bit of the dressing liquid, and no one wants a soggy pasta salad.
Other great sides:
- The Ultimate BBQ Baked beans
- 120 + Summer BBQ Recipes
- Sesame Ginger Chicken Salad
- Seared Watermelon Salad
- Best Ever Broccoli Salad
- Chicken Noodle Salad
- Mexican Corn Salad
Rainbow Macaroni Salad
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1 cup diced red yellow, and orange peppers
- 6 ounce can black olives chopped
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup cubed colby jack cheese
- 2/3 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 Tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Cook noodles according to package directions, and strain. Using a Clip on food strainer is a quick and easy way to get the water out of the pot.
- Chop all the veggies and additions up, and toss with noodles.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Pour sauce over the top and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate up to 2 days.
Pin to your Pasta Salad board on Pinterest: