Roast Beef Tenderloin with Herb Butter
Tender, perfectly seasoned Roast Beef Tenderloin with Herb Butter is a meal that you will be craving for days to come. When you really want to treat yourself to a truly satisfying dish, this recipe is just for you.
I love Roast Beef Tenderloin with Herb Butter because it is a decadent dish that my family and I can eat right in the comfort of our home. No need to go out to a restaurant for this meal.
While I love a casual dish like Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches, sometimes I want a fancier dinner and a meal that doesn’t take all day in the crockpot to cook.
What You Need to Make Roast Beef Tenderloin
What you need to make roast beef tenderloin at home:
- 2 pound Center-Cut Beef Tenderloin Chateaubriand from the whole tenderloin
- Kosher Salt
- Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Vegetable Oil
- Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Garlic Clove
- Fresh Parsley or Basil
How to Make Roast Beef Tenderloin
Total time: 1 hour 55 minutes- 2 hour 25 minutes
Description: You are going to love Roast Beef Tenderloin with Herb Butter. First, wrap the roast with twine and knot the twine. Then salt the meat, letting it sit out for an hour. Season roast and cook. Make the herb butter while the roast is cooking. Once the roast is done then sear it in a skillet. Next let is rest for about 15 minutes with herb butter generously distributed all over. Lastly, slice and serve with more herb butter.
Step one: Prep Roast
Tie the roast with twine.
Make sure to wrap twine around the beef tenderloin, and fasten with double knots, repeating along the length of the roast.
Step two: Salt Roast and Sit.
Transfer roast to a plate, sprinkle salt evenly over the roast, cover with plastic wrap, and let the roast sit out for 1 hour.
Step three: Get Oven Ready for Roast.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees, and position oven rack to the middle setting.
Step four: Pat Roast Dry and Season.
After the hour is up and the oven is preheating, use a paper towel to pat the exterior of the roast dry.
Sprinkle roast with pepper and granulated garlic and spread the unsalted butter evenly over the surface.
Step five: Cook Roast.
Transfer beef to a roasting rack or wire rack inside of a rimmed roasting pan or baking sheet.
Roast in the oven for 40-70 minutes. Flip half way through.
Step six: Make the Herb Butter.
While the roast is cooking, make the herb butter. Combine ingredients and set aside.
Step seven: Sear the Roast.
When the roast is nearly done, heat vegetable oil in a skillet, over medium-high heat, until the oil is hot and barely smoking.
Remove roast from oven and place it in a skillet, searing all sides until well browned. About 4-8 minutes each side.
Step eight: Rest the Meat with Herb Butter On It.
Transfer the roast to a cutting board and spoon the prepared herb butter over the top.
Let it sit there for 15 minutes.
Step nine: Carve and Serve.
Cut the twine, and then carve the roast into ½ inch thick slices, and serve with more herbed butter.
Tips and Tricks
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy, but here are a few things to keep in mind…
- Make Leftovers with Beef Tenderloin: So much to do with beef tenderloin. Use leftovers in a stir fry or stew.
- Make Sure You Calculate the Right Amount of Meat: Plan on a half pound of tenderloin for each guest.
- Tie Meat for an Even Cook: Do not skip tying the meat. The thickness of the meat varies so in order to have an even cook with the same thickness, tie it up.
- Be Patient and Let Meat Rest: Don’t skip this step in the recipe. It is crucial so you don’t lose the ever so crave-worthy component of a juicy slice. So, don’t slice meat while it is resting or you will lose those ever so needed juices.
- Seasoning is Key: Although this meat is sought after for its tenderness, it does not pack a whole lot of flavor with each and every bite on its own. Don’t worry this problem can be fixed. Follow this recipe and don’t be shy with the seasoning or the butter.
Make Ahead and Storage
- Prep with roast like normal.
- Follow the directions for salting and seasoning.
- Instead of putting the roast in the oven, cover it with plastic wrap.
- Transfer roast into the fridge and let it sit there for up to 4 days, prior to cooking.
You are going to love this recipe!
Other Great Recipes:
- Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Veggies (Keto)
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Greek Marinated Steak with Corn Feta Relish
- Beef Tips and Gravy Slow Cooker
- Steak with Garlic Mushroom Cream Sauce
Roast Beef Tenderloin with Herb Butter
- 2 pound center-cut beef tenderloin Chateaubriand from the whole tenderloin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 Tablespoons shallot minced fine
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh herb parsley or basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Tie Roast: Start with a 12 inch piece of kitchen twine, and tie the roast. Tie crosswise at 1 ½ inch intervals. To tie, wrap a piece of kitchen twine around the beef tenderloin, and fasten with double knots, repeating along the length of the roast. Fold the thin ends under the roast, and tie into place. Knots should be snug, but not tight. This will help give the whole roast an even thickness to promote even cooking, and prevent over-cooking the thinner end pieces.
- Salt: Set roast on a plate or in a shallow dish, and sprinkle salt evenly over the roast. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, and position oven rack to the middle setting.
- After the hour in salt, use a paper towel to pat the exterior of the roast dry. Sprinkle pepper and granulated garlic over the roast, and spread the unsalted butter evenly over the surface.
- Roast on a Rack: Set beef tenderloin roast on a roasting rack or wire rack inside of a rimmed roasting pan or baking sheet. Do not skip the rack, this allows for even heating.
- Roast in preheated oven for 40-70 minutes, depending on desired doneness. Flip half way through roast time. For internal temp of 125 degrees (medium rare) roast 40-55 minutes. For medium or 135 degrees, roast for 55-70 minutes, use an internal temperature probe, or quick read thermometer to monitor temp.
- Meanwhile, make herb butter but combining all ingredients in a bowl, and setting aside.
- When roast is nearly done roasting, heat the vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet, over medium-high heat, until oil is hot and just smoking. Remove roast from oven when desired temperature is reached, and place in skillet, searing all sides until well browned. About 4-8 minutes each side.
- Once seared, transfer the beef tenderloin roast from the skillet to a cutting board, and spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of the prepared herb butter over the top.
- Rest the meat: While the butter melts into the meat on the cutting board, just let it sit there for 15 minutes. Do not touch it or slice too soon. You want to give the juices a chance to redistribute.
- Carve: Cut the twine, and then carve the beef tenderloin into ½ inch thick slices, and serve with more herbed butter!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your WHAT board on Pinterest: