Thank you La Brea for sponsoring this post and helping to keep recipes free for readers, all opinions are my own.
Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches: The best French Dip ever! I am not joking, this slow cooker meal offers delectable, tender, and flavorful beef, wrapped in melted Provolone cheese, and the perfect, crunchy exterior, soft interior French Demi Baguette. Plus it is so easy to make! Just 10 minutes prep.
Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
©Eazy Peazy Mealz by EazyPeazyMealz.com
Pin it to your (Board Type) board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
I don’t even know where to start with this recipe, other than to say it is a MUST TRY. I never knew beef could be this flavorful, this tender, this delicious. To describe the flavor I would have to say it is rich, smoky, deeply layered with onions and garlic, with a touch of sweetness and a touch of salt. Honestly, I can’t even describe it. Insane. Mouthwatering. The thing my French dip dreams are made of. Just try it!
A good French Dip is one of those things in life you just need to have. I have tried several and order them often, but knew if I wanted the perfect sandwich I would probably have to make it myself.
I have been trying to find or develop a recipe that does the idea of perfectly seasoned beef, layered with cheese and bread and dipped in au jus justice. And I can proudly say it has happened.
To give credit, where credit is due, I started with a recipe from my friend Jen. Her slow cooker French dip is really amazing. Tender, juicy, and flavorful, as it should be. But for some reason I kept wanting something a little different, it just wasn’t quite right for me. I wanted a slightly smokier flavor, and a touch more sweetness. And I wanted onions. So I played with her recipe until I got just that. And woah! So good.
The Perfect Baguette
While the meat is important, and where you get the flavor for the au jus, a good French dip also requires the right bread. This is a sandwich you dip into a flavorful broth (Au Jus), so you don’t want something that will go limp, or gooey, or fall apart on you. You need something that can handle getting wet, that will carry the flavor of the beef and the au jus, and that adds to the whole with texture. The answer, La Brea’s Take and Bake French Demi Baguette.
You can find them in the freezer section at Walmart, which is awesome because it means I always have some on hand. You bake them for about 10 minutes, and you are good to go. Use the store locator to see if there is a Walmart that carries them near you. And save $1 with coupon!
This meal really couldn’t be simpler. A crock pot beef. A freezer roll, and cheese. Always cheese. Then dig in and stuff your face because you will be dreaming about the rich flavors, tender juicy meat, delicious au jus, and perfect french demi baguette for days to come. It is inevitable, don’t fight it!
- Without the perfect Baguette, you may as well not Dip!
- Go guiltless! Per calorie, beef supplies no more cholesterol than chicken or turkey.
- If you love to live on the edge, try Spiking the dip with horseradish.
- Caramelize the onions, just right.
- Invite friends and family to the good times!
- Super Easy Mashed Potatoes
- Light Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Oven Baked Steak Fries
- Apple Pear Crisp
- Pineapple Limeade
Easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- 3 lb beef chuck roast trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 Baguettes La Brea Bakery Take and Back French Demi
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 2 onions Large thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs garlic minced
For Crockpot/Slow Cooker
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbs onions dry minced
- 1 Tbs beef bouillon
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme dried
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper and cook until seared on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Slice onions thin, and mince garlic, and add to now empty skillet, cook for about 3-5 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Add to slow cooker along with all the slow cooker ingredients (soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, liquid smoke, beef broth, dry minced onions, beef bouillon, onion powder, dried oregano, salt, pepper, dried thyme, bay leaf)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker, and slice into thin pieces, against the grain. Return to slow cooker for an additional 1-2 hours.
- Prepare take and bake La Brea French Demi Baguette according to package directions.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut demi baguette in half and line insides with provolone cheese slices.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes, until cheese is nicely melted.
- Remove roast and fill french demi baguettes.
- Take the liquid left in the slow cooker, and strain it over a bowl, removing the onions and fat.
- Add onions to the sandwiches if desired
- Use the broth that was strained into the bowl as the au jus.
Pin to your SANDWICH board: