This post is sponsored by Ibotta, all opinions are my own.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pomodoro
A deliciously seasoned, creamy tomato based sauce, served with tender chicken, all cooked in the slow cooker. This Slow Cooker Chicken Pomodoro is going to be a family favorite, and with the Ibotta app, an affordable, budget friendly meal, by earning cash back while shopping for groceries.
This classic recipe features tender chicken braised in a rich tomato sauce. And boy does it deliver on flavor. Gently simmering the chicken in the sauce helps it to retain moisture. And using tomato paste instead of fresh or canned tomatoes helps give this recipe a bold tomato-ey flavor, instead of one watered down by the chicken’s natural juices.
I love the creamy component of the Pomodoro sauce, setting it apart from your basic marinara. This meal adds extra pizazz and protein to dinner.
While I love a good Spaghetti with Meat Sauce recipe, sometimes I want a break from red meat in a dish and I am craving that winning combination of tomato with added creaminess.
And when you use the Ibotta app when shopping for everything you need, you can get cash back, so overall you spend less! Great meal, great savings = win win!
What You Need to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Pomodoro
Definitely add these ingredients to your next shopping order, whether online or in store. With Ibotta, you can earn cash back on in-store and online purchases with the push of a button.
You are definitely going to want to make this dish. Here is what you need:
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Flavor Builders: Onion and Garlic Cloves
- Tomato Paste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Seasonings: Fresh or Dried Oregano, Salt, Red Pepper Flakes, Paprika and Pepper.
- Dairy: Heavy Cream and Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil
How to Earn Cash Back on Chicken Pomodoro
This is already a budget friendly recipe, and super easy to make in the slow cooker, you can use Ibotta to save even more with all their features and ways to Shop + Earn Cash Back:
- In-Store Shopping
You can earn cash back at major retailers shopping in-store for things you already buy every day, like groceries, beer, wine, and spirits. Here’s how:
- Loyalty Linking: Link the loyalty accounts at your favorite retailers in the Ibotta app and when you use your linked loyalty accounts at checkout, your purchases will be linked to qualifying offers on your list. So eazy peazy. You’ll see the cash back in your Ibotta earnings within 24 hours!
- Receipt Submission: Never miss out on possible cash back by submitting receipts from your shopping trips to the Ibotta app. Choose a retailer, add offers for products you plan to buy, and hit the store. After check out, submit a photo of your receipt in the app, and get cash back on all qualifying purchases within 24 hours.
- Gift Cards: Buy a gift card from Ibotta for your favorite shops and restaurants and get cash back on the entire amount instantly.
- Online Shopping with Browser Extension
Shop online using the Ibotta browser extension to earn cash back on
- Grocery pick-up and delivery
- Online Shopping Through App
Do your online shopping through the app to earn cash back on the following types of purchases:
I loved being able to do Walmart Grocery Pick-up or grocery delivery for this Chicken Pomodoro recipe and still earn cash back through the browser extension, all while making dinner for my family and stocking up on snacks and foods I’m already buying from retailers I already shop at.
All offers were valid as of publish date. Don’t forget to check your app for details as offers change frequently and may not be available in all areas.
How to Make Chicken Pomodoro
You will love this dish. Simply, microwave the sauce ingredients, transfer them into the slow cooker, and add cream. Prep the chicken and add it to the slow cooker and cook. Finish with parmesan cheese for nuttiness and continue to cook longer. Then garnish with fresh basil and serve. It’s delicious!
Shop in store or online for ingredients, and don’t forget to take advantage of the cash back offers.
Step Two: Microwave Sauce Ingredients
In a microwave safe bowl, add onion, tomato paste, garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper flakes and microwave for a few minutes.
Then stir and cook until onion is softened.
Step Three: Transfer Sauce to Slow Cooker and Add Cream
Pour the sauce into an oval, 5-7 quart slow cooker and stir heavy cream into the sauce in the slow cooker.
Step Four: Prep Chicken & Transfer Chicken to Slow Cooker and Cook
Trim chicken breasts, pound to even thickness, and season with salt, pepper, and paprika, on all sides.
Set chicken into sauce in the slow cooker, making sure chicken is in an even layer.
Cover the slow cooker, and cook on low for 1-2 hours, checking chicken after about 45 minutes to read temperature.
Cook until the chicken reaches 160 degrees F.
Step Five: Sprinkle Chicken with Parmesan and Continue to Cook
Once chicken reaches 160 degrees F, sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the chicken, and recover with lid, cooking an additional 5-10 minutes to allow chicken to reach 165 F and for the parmesan to melt.
Step Six: Garnish and Serve
Serve sprinkled with fresh basil, and plenty of sauce. Accompany the dish with a side of pasta.
Tips and Tricks
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy here are some helpful tips and tricks to make the recipe go smoothly every time…
- Pasta isn’t the Only Acceptable Side: Serve Chicken Pomodoro with a variety of things, rice, gnocchi, or pasta.
- Spaghetti is the Pasta of Choice: For this type of sauce, I recommend spaghetti if you are going to serve it with a side of pasta, which is my favorite combination.
- Don’t Want Chicken? No Problem: Pomodoro means tomato in Italian. Pomodoro is a tomato based sauce with no meat in it. While this recipe is served with chicken, if you want a different protein instead that is fine. However the recipe may need to be altered for cooking. Shrimp is a great substitute or beans if you want a vegetarian option.
- Lessen the Fat: If you want less fat and calories use half and half instead of heavy cream, although with a Pomodoro you want it thicker than a marinara.
- Mix Pasta in at the End: Instead of serving the pasta to the side, mix the pasta in the sauce at the end to make it a more comprehensive dish and add flavor to the pasta.
- Don’t Sub Canned Diced Tomatoes or Fresh Tomatoes: Both release too much liquid during cooking, and will result in a dull thin sauce.
Make Ahead and Storage
How to make this recipe ahead of time:
Chicken Pomodoro should last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Make the meal like normal.
- Let sauce and chicken cook.
- Put food in an airtight container.
- Microwave in a microwave-safe dish, covered to reduce splatter and mess.
- Cook until heated through.
- Reheat spaghetti in the microwave, using a microwave-safe dish.
Freezer Meal Option:
- Follow directions like normal with the exception of the pasta.
- Either wait to cook pasta until you are ready to eat. This is my preference. Or, cook pasta until al dente, rinse under cold water, add olive oil, twirl with a fork making little stacks of pasta and put on a cookie sheet. Put in the freezer for about an hour and then put in a freezer bag.
- Transfer chicken and sauce into a freezer bag once cooled as well.
- Defrost in the fridge and reheat in the microwave using the same instructions as above.
- For the pasta, put frozen pasta in boiling water. It should finish cooking in about one minute.
Other Great Recipes:
- Instant Pot Lasagna
- Baked Spaghetti
- Chicken Parm Meatballs stuffed with Mozzarella
- One Pot Sausage, Chard, and Pine Nut Orecchiette Pasta
- Easy Cheesy Sausage and Green Bean Skillet Pasta
Slow Cooker Chicken Pomodoro
- 1/2 cup onion chopped fine
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or ⅛ teaspoon dried
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes more if you like spice
- Additional Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts), trimmed
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil chiffoned
- Place onion, tomato paste, garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper flakes in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 3 minutes, then stir, to combine everything really well, and return to the microwave for an additional 2-5 minutes, until onion is softened. Stir well.
- Pour the bowl’s contents into an oval, 5-7 quart slow cooker
- Stir heavy cream into the contents in the slow cooker.
- Trim chicken breasts, and pound to even thickness, then season with salt, pepper, and paprika, on all sides.
- Set chicken into sauce in slow cooker, arranging in an even layer.
- Cover slow cooker, and cook on low for 1-2 hours, checking chicken after about 45 minutes to read temperature. Cook until chicken reaches 160 degrees F. *Use an instant read thermometer to get the chicken cooked perfectly.
- Once chicken reaches 160 degrees F, sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the chicken, and recover with lid.
- Cook an additional 5-10 minutes to allow the chicken to come up to 165 degrees F and for the parmesan cheese to melt.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh basil, and plenty of sauce. Wonderful served with pasta.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinners board on Pinterest: