Baked Potato Soup
Baked potato soup is a thick and creamy version of a loaded baked potato with bacon, cheddar cheese, and potatoes all loaded into a delicious soup!Print Pin Rate
- 12 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup yellow onion
- 2/3 cup butter salted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp parsley dried
- 4 large baked potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Green onions sliced (for garnish)
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned and crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan, leaving grease in pan.
- Crumble, and set aside.
- To the pan of grease add onion and garlic, and saute until tender (3-5 minutes)
- Remove from grease, and discard leftover grease. Add onion and garlic mix to a stock pot or dutch oven along with butter, and melt butter over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, add flour, and whisk until smooth, and a paste forms. Flour will be starting to brown slightly.
- Gradually whisk in milk and chicken stock, whisking until mixture has thickened. Add onion powder and parsley.
- Stir in potatoes and bring to a boil, continue to stir frequently.
- Once boiling, cover, and turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so bottom doesn’t burn.
- Once the simmer time has ended, mix in half the bacon crumbles, half the cheese, all of the sour cream. Stir together, then taste. Add salt and pepper until seasoned to your preference.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with remaining cheese and bacon crumbles, as well as green onion for garnish.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 677kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 1000mg | Potassium: 853mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1002IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 317mg | Iron: 2mg
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Tried this recipe?Mention @ezpzmealz or tag #ezpzmealz!
Want to use this recipe in a meal plan?Try PrePear, my FREE Meal Planning App that allows you to save your recipes, plan meals, shop for groceries, and cook simply in one place. Join Here!
Pin to your Soup Board: