Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage: A tender, flavorful, and totally fun recipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage, cooked in an instant pot, or slow cooker. You only need about 5 minutes to get everything ready for a delicious Irish meal of Corned Beef and Cabbage.
Would you believe me if I told you I was in my 20’s before I ever tried Corned Beef?? Like seriously, I had never even eaten a Reuben before. We did not grow up eating it, and I had never come across it before.
When Facebook first started getting bigger, we would follow all of our friends, and pretty much anyone we knew. Right? Like now, I try to only follow people who I actually care to see what is going on in their lives, but when it first started, you followed anyone else who had Facebook. I feel really old knowing that I was around when Facebook started. But anyway, a girl that I barely knew in High School posted something about how she could not wait for her family’s traditional Irish dinner on St. Patrick’s Day: Corned Beef and Cabbage.
She seemed genuinely excited to eat it, so I knew I needed to try it. I went out to dinner with a friend, and tried it. It was only ok. I was not a fan. Fortunately I gave it another chance, because I have since realize I just had some that wasn’t prepared that well. And it is actually super yummy.
This recipe for it is cooked in the INSTANT POT! Which in my opinion is one of the greatest kitchen gadgets ever. I seriously love it. It is just so convenient. Anyway, it takes about 5 minutes to throw everything in, and the instant pot does the work. Then you take the corned beef out, and add in the veggies and cabbage. And a few minutes later you have a complete meal.
I added carrots and potatoes to my corned beef and cabbage because I love having the variety. The flavors were awesome, and it turned out to be absolutely delicious. So I am really glad I opted for the addition.
Anyway, you can totally cook this whole meal in a slow cooker too, if you don’t have an Instant Pot. But I suggest getting one. They are under $100, and make dinner prep so easy. I made these pulled pork and 3 bean salad protein bowls in one! Delish.
Instant Pot Tips for Corned Beef & Cabbage
- You can set your instant pot to a preset like “meat” or you can set it manually.
- Just use the seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef, but if you don’t want to do that feel free to add bay leaves, whole mustard grains, and thyme. But strain them out of the liquid before cooking the vegetables.
- Give the pot time to depressurize with the corned beef, rather than venting it will help it be more tender.
- When cooking the cabbage, vent it so that it doesn’t get too soggy.
- Put cabbage on top of everything else so it is above the liquid, you may need to drain a little liquid off.
Pin to your DINNER board on Pinterest: