A thick, cinnamon filled crumb cake that is quick, easy to make, and gluten free!
I love coffee cakes and crumb cakes, but my favorite coffee cake takes a while to make, so I wanted a really quick option for those mornings I just want something to munch on while having a hot beverage.
This was such a fun option because not only did it taste great, but because I used a Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancake Mix as my base for this cake, it is also gluten-free! Pretty great.
I had a lot of fun recipe testing for this one. My first version was too dry, and my second had too much cinnamon, but the final version was right on par for what I like. Keep in mind that I enjoy cinnamon, and so I may add more than you will want to if you aren’t as into cinnamon and cinnamon rolls as I am!
My idea for this crumb cake was to make it small enough that it would be just enough for one morning with my family. And to make it similar to a cinnamon roll in flavor, without the work. I think had I added a cream cheese frosting or glaze it would have been very cinnamon roll-like indeed. But truthfully I loved it as is, and figured my kids would do without the extra sugar!
Gluten Free Cinnamon Crumb Skillet CakePrint Pin Rate
- 2 1/2 cups Krusteaz Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 Tbs cinnamon
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In medium bowl, stir together pancake mix and remaining dough ingredients with a fork until dough forms.
- Transfer to counter or other surface lightly dusted with additional gluten-free pancake mix
- Roll out into a rectangle
- Mix together filling ingredients, and spread over the dough
- Roll it up like you would a cinnamon roll (do they best you can as it will be crumbly)
- Cut into pieces (again like you would for cinnamon rolls)
- Then layer them in a 8 inch skillet, or cast iron pan to form a cake with the cinnamon dispersed throughout
- Bake for 15-17 minutes
I thought this would make a fun breakfast idea for Christmas, and it can be made ahead and baked morning of, or even baked ahead then stored covered for a couple days!
For more great Gluten Free Options try: