This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
A classic and comforting apple hand pie, in a fun festive form: Mummy Apple Hand Pies are everything you want in an apple pie, and are spookily delicious. Plus, with a store bought pie crust, they come together in minutes, making them as quick as they are tasty.
Mummy Apple Hand Pies
©EAZY PEAZY MEALZ BY EAZYPEAZYMEALZ.COM
PIN TO YOUR HALLOWEEN TREATS BOARD TO SAVE IT FOR LATER!
FOLLOW EAZY PEAZY MEALZ ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT TIPS, IDEAS AND RECIPES!
One of my favorite ways to celebrate the holidays is with food. I especially love Halloween because you can eat, drink, and be scary! There are so many fun ways to turn favorite traditional fall foods into Halloween fun treats. And it is the perfect holiday to let the kids in on the fun. Especially since perfection is not required for things like spiders, monsters, and mummies.
I am obsessed with Halloween foods. And this apple hand pie is no exception. It is cut round, filled, topped, and layered with extra crust to make it look like a mummy, then egg washed, baked, and dusted with Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar. It is absolutely tasty, with the perfect sweet and tart filling made from fall apples. Your whole family will love the flavors, and the fun Halloween twist. And your whole family can get in on the fun of making them too.
Isn’t making Halloween treats the perfect way to spend time with your family? For this dessert I used both Dixie Crystals sugar and powdered sugar. Dixie Crystals is a trusted Southern brand that has been around since 1917. And one of their goals is for families to spend time together in the kitchen making memories through food. Holidays are the perfect platform for it! So I was happy to take that goal and run with it.
My kids had so much fun customizing their own mummies, and of course sprinkling them with powdered sugar when they were hot out of the oven. In some cases much more than the apple
hand pie got a sprinkling. But that is all part of the fun.
I used an apple peeler corer tool to make the whole process of making the filling super fast.
My kids love twisting the handle for me! And I love that all I have to do is a few rough chops after peeling and coring and I have ready to go apples. A sprinkle of lemon to keep them white, and a toss in our cinnamon, Dixie Crystals sugar, and other pie spices mixture, a few dabs of butter, and you are in business. As eazy peazy as can be.
Pre-made Pie Crust
I used a pre-made pie crust, and cut out circles, make them as big as you want your apple hand pie to be. I went with 3 inch diameters.
Top with filling. You are getting closer to having these apple hand pies in your hands!
Then add the top crust. Seal it up tight with a dab of water so it doesn’t leak too bad.
Then take strips of pie crust that is leftover, and layer it to look like a mummy. I used candied pecans to make the eyeballs.
Then give it an egg wash, and bake!
Then enjoy! I hope you love them as much as we do.
More Halloween recipes to try, if you dare…
- Mummy Dogs
- Jack O’ Lantern and Mummy Pizzas
- Spider Web Soup
- Skeleton Cupcakes
- Swamp Potion Halloween Punch
Pin to your Halloween board on Pinterest
If you love cooking and baking with your kids, whether or not it is for the holidays, be sure to check out DixieCrystals.com. The website is full of 1000’s of time-tested recipes, plus baking videos, vintage cookbooks and more! You will love exploring it, and keep your eyes out for the Kids in the Kitchen section, with hundreds of ideas for getting your kids actively involved in the kitchen with craft ideas, printables, edible art projects, science projects, and activity sheets! It is a blast
For more fun recipes using Dixie Crystals Sugar check out the following:
Bewitching Breakfast Treats
Fang-tastic Candy Treats
- Creepy Pumpkin Seed Brittle by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Halloween Fudge by The Dinner-Mom
- Soft and Chewy Apple Cider Caramels by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Boo-tiful Cakes and Pies
- Cheesecake Mummies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Cinnamon Frosted Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake by Crazed Mom
- Gluten Free Spooky Chocolate Cupcakes by Fearless Dining
- Graveyard Cupcakes by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Halloween Cupcakes by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Halloween Whoopie Pies by The Chef Next Door
- Mini Jack-O-Lantern Cakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Mummy Apple Hand Pies by Eazy Peazy Mealz
- Pumpkin Chocolate Ganache Cake by Taste And See
- Pumpkin Cupcakes by Flour On My Face
- Gingerbread Zombies by Family Foodie
- Halloween Spider Cookies by Moore or Less Cooking
- Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars by Savory Experiments
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Witch Hat Cookies by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Bone-chilling Goodies
- Bloody Crème Brûlée by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Haunted Halloween Ghosts by Shockingly Delicious
- Individual Candy Corn Fruit Salad Dessert by Hot Eats Cool Reads
- Monster Munch Popcorn Snack Mix by A Dish of Daily Life
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cobbler by The Gold Lining Girl
- Vampire Collins Cocktail by kimchi MOM
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.