This post is sponsored by Conagra, but opinions expressed are my own.
Sloppy Joe Meatball Subs Featuring Manwich
A simple twist on a classic sloppy joe gets you this incredible meatball sub with all the flavors, but not as much of the mess.
Loaded with all the beefy tomato flavors you expect with a traditional sloppy joe, this quick and hearty meal is a weeknight favorite, and great for serving hungry kids during back to school!
This is an easy way to serve up the “Feel-Goods” as kids go back to school this fall–whatever that may look like!
Serve up Smiles for Back-to-School
With back to school upon us, and a lot of changes, uncertainty, and new things on the horizon, it is more important than ever to serve up smiles at home. And Sloppy Joe Meatball Subs featuring Manwich are the perfect way to do this. They are easy, classic, comfort food, that the whole family will love.
Not only are they delicious, so easy to make, and only requires a few simple ingredients, but they are great for feeding hungry kids on busy nights.
You can simplify life further using Walmart Online Grocery to get everything you need in a snap, including Manwich and other Conagra Feel-Goods!
What is a Feel-Good?
Conagra and Walmart are serving up “Feel-Goods” to make back-to-school a little easier, brighter, and a little tastier, whether at home or in homeroom. And I am all for it. I was sure to add several to my Walmart Grocery Pick-up Order for back-to-school.
Here are a few of the things I picked up, from desserts that my kids go crazy for, to quick meal solutions and fast grab lunchbox snacks and after school snacking favorites!
- Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce: This is the first one, and an obvious choice as it is a classic flavor, deliciously messy dinner option that is just so good it makes everyone smile. Go the traditional route mixing it with a ground meat of your choice, or in these meatball subs. Try all Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce varieties. Thick & Chunky, Bold and Bourbon BBQ.
- Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP Sweet and Salty Kettle Corn Popcorn: I grabbed the, 1 oz. 6-Count bag to add to lunches, and keep in the car for after school snacking! It is a sweet and salty favorite that tastes like what you would get at the fair, but is far more convenient. Each of these bags are packed with flavor, offer whole-grain, non-GMO popcorn, that is vegan, gluten-free, and made with real, simple ingredients. Plus it is only 140 calories per bag, with 0 grams trans fat per serving, making it a great snack for me too!
- SNACK PACK Juicy Gels Cups: I grabbed the 3.25 oz. Cups 6-Count package and couldn’t help myself, I had to try the Fanta flavor! These super flavorful snack cups are only 90 calories per serving, gluten-free, and conveniently packaged. They are a fantastic treat in a lunchbox, or fun after school indulgence.
- Banquet Mega Bowls Country Fried Chicken: This 14 ounce sized meal is the perfect quick microwavable, mess free dinner solution for my hungry teen on a night where he has homework, basketball, and other demands on his time. This warm, hearty dish offers chicken breast fritters and creamy mashed potatoes topped with savory homestyle gravy, corn, and shredded cheese. You get bold flavors and a hearty meal!
- Duncan Hines Mega Cookie Chocolate Chunk Pan Cookie Mix: Talk about the perfect gooey dessert in minutes. You can whip these up quickly and easily, and get your chocolate and cookie fix any night of the week. Did I mention it can be baked in the oven or the microwave? Just add melted butter and water for a quick dessert.
- Duncan Hines Unicorn Cake Cup Vanilla Cake Mix with Sprinkles: I bought this in a 4 pack because my kids love this colorful, single-serve kid friendly dessert. It has shimmer sprinkles! Basically the shimmer sprinkles and cookie crumbles make it the perfect anytime treat. It is ready in minutes. Just add water and stir.
Fun Ideas for Making Weeknights Feel-Good:
As a mom, I always want to help my kids get the “Feel-Goods” throughout the week. And I often do that with their favorite go-to snacks and hearty meals. Here are some fun ways we are implementing that right now:
- Manwich Monday: We’ve got Manwich on the menu whether it is these Meatball Subs or this Sloppy Joe Casserole, or some other take on Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce.
- Treat Tuesday: On Tuesdays I sneak a treat into their backpack like a fun Snack Pack, or bag of Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP Sweet and Salty Kettle Corn Popcorn.
- Whatever You Want Wednesday: The perfect day for kids to enjoy a Banquet Mega Bowl or Odom’s Tennessee Pride Sausage Biscuit Sandwich for dinner, as it is a fend for yourself night with everyone going in different directions.
- Thursday is “Yay! Yay! PB&J Day!”: Make a lunch with Peter Pan Peanut Butter for a classic PB&J and add in your favorite Feel-Goods lunch snacks.
- Fun Friday: The perfect day for a magical Duncan Hines Unicorn Cake Cup!
How to Make Sloppy Joe Meatball Subs with Manwich
These meatball sub sandwiches are a simple recipe that packs a flavor punch, and can be made in bulk to feed a crowd, or customized based on if you are feeding adults or kids. I like to make them on smaller buns, with smaller meatballs when serving them to kids.
- Make the Meatballs: Mix up your meatballs using ground beef, ground sausage, some seasonings and onion. OR…skip meatball prep and buy frozen meatballs from Walmart while ordering your groceries. I personally prefer the homemade, and this recipe is so quick and easy, you won’t even mind the extra work.
- Brown Meatballs: In order to maximize the flavor of the meatballs, you want to sear them on all sides, giving them a nice brown all around before adding your sauce.
- Add Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce: This is where you pour sauce over top, and let simmer. I use 1 can, but if you want these subs to be extra saucy, you can always add a second can.
- Simmer: Let it all simmer 10-15 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through. Check with an instant read thermometer to insure safe temperature for consuming.
- Assemble: Spoon meatballs into sub rolls, and top with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Broil: Place in a broiler for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted, and
- Garnish with fresh parsley
Don’t forget to pick up your “Feel-Goods” and everything you need for back-to-school meals, snacks, and lunches with Walmart Online Grocery.
Sloppy Joe Meatball Subs
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork sausage
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 15 ounces Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce
- 6 submarine rolls
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Mix ground beef, ground sausage, minced onion, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and black pepper in large bowl.
- Shape into 18 (1 inch) meatballs.
- Melt butter or heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown the exterior of the meatballs, flipping and turning them until fully browned and partially cooked through
- Pour Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce sauce over top, and let simmer.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Evenly distribute meatballs into sub rolls, and top with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Broil 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted
- Garnish with fresh parsley
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.