This post is sponsored by Conagra, but opinions expressed are my own.
Sloppy Joe Casserole
A simple twist on a classic sloppy joe for National Sloppy Joe Day gets you this incredible penne pasta casserole. Loaded with all the beefy tomato flavors you expect with a traditional sloppy joe, this quick and hearty meal is a weeknight favorite, and great for serving a crowd.
This recipe is a great way to capture the flavors of your family’s favorite sloppy joe dinner but make it even easier by turning it into a delicious casserole made with only a few ingredients.
My family loves sloppy joes, but they are… well… sloppy! And while the flavors are an amazing combination of tomatoes and spices, I don’t want a house full of family and friends spilling their loose meat sandwich all over my house. Thus, the creation of a little less sloppy, but no less tasty, sloppy joe casserole!
You guys are going to fall in love with this recipe because not only is it delicious, it is so easy to make, and only requires a few simple ingredients, and is great for feeding a crowd. And you can even utilize Walmart Online Grocery (OG) to get everything you need in a snap, including Manwich! Just order everything you need to have a perfect National Sloppy Joe Day online, head to the store, and they will load all of your groceries into your cart for you!
You can score huge savings on this, and other brands when you shop at Walmart. It’s a win-win for the whole family!
What do you need to make this cheesy, saucy, masterpiece?
- Ground Meat: ground beef is perfect, and if you want to add a little extra flavor, ground pork sausage is a fun addition.
- Olive Oil: To help saute everything.
- Veggies: onion and green bell peppers
- Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce: the taste that makes everyone smile, especially since Manwich® Original Sloppy Joe Sauce only has 35 calories with zero fat and cholesterol per serving.
- Penne Pasta: Pick your favorite kind, and cook it al dente!
- Colby-Jack Cheese: Oh the cheesy goodness. This will melt, adding flavor and helping to hold everything together.
- Parsley for Garnish: Adds some freshness and a pop of color.
I love using Manwich® Original Sloppy Joe Sauce. It offers a taste of the classic, deliciously messy favorite the entire family loves, in a quicker, easier way. The sauce is made with a tomato base and seasonings, and is great on tacos, sliders, meatloaf, and more. Just have fun with it.
How to Make Sloppy Joe Casserole
This is literally one of the easiest recipes ever, as it takes a handful of basic ingredients, and you just have to mix it all together. This amazing casserole takes all the components of a sloppy joe, but mixes it with penne pasta and cheese, to give you the perfect comfort food that you can eat with a fork instead of on a bun.
This easy to make Sloppy Joe Casserole is perfect for a busy family on the go.
Sloppy Joe Casserole Steps:
- Prep Everything: Cut up your veggies, preheat the oven, spray your casserole dish.
- Cook Pasta: I always say to slightly salt the water, bring it to a boil, and cook until al dente. Follow the instructions on the packaging. But plan on about 11 minutes of cook time, and then drain it.
- Brown Meat: While the pasta cooks, you can get the rest of the recipe ready to go, you will want to heat a large skillet and brown the ground meats. Do this before adding the onions and peppers so you can drain off the excess grease/fat, and not lose the flavor from the onions and peppers.
- Add the Veggies: Once the meat is browned and drained, you can add the onion, and green bell pepper and cook until fragrant and tender.
- Add Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce: This is where the magic happens, as you are going to add all the flavor. You want to add at least one 14.5 ounce can, but if you want a really saucy casserole (You do!) Add an extra half or whole can. Then reduce heat and simmer until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Mix it all Together: This is where all the moving parts come together. Add the cooked penne, half of the cheese, and all of the ground meat and Manwich mixture. Stir together.
- Bake: Once it is all mixed, you will pour it into a 9×13-inch baking dish. And top with the remaining half of the cheese. Then bake it until the cheese is melted and it is all nice and bubbly. It only takes about 20 minutes. So in just over half an hour you will have a big old dish of tasty sloppy joe casserole.
- Garnish and Serve: Remove it from the oven, and add some fresh parsley and serve to the hungry home team!
Sloppy Joe Origins
A sloppy joe is traditionally a loose meat sandwich made of ground beef that’s tossed in a sauce of tomatoes seasoned with spices. And often served with onions and green peppers mixed in.
The origins are from Sioux Falls, Iowa where a cook named Joe sold “loose meat sandwiches” at a restaurant, which happily took the moniker “Sloppy Joes”.
While it is argued they were around even before that, the name “sloppy joe” really took off in the 1960s when Manwich started selling a prepackaged sloppy joe sauce. It was great then, and it is great now.
With a can of Manwich® Sloppy Joe Sauce, you have a zillion dinner possibilities. Just mix this delicious sauce with lean ground beef or ground turkey, then heat and serve. Try all Manwich® Sloppy Joe Sauce varieties.
Check out https://loveeverylastbite.com/game-day to view more recipes made with Manwich.
There is just something so fun and comforting about Sloppy Joes. It is a real crowd pleaser. The sweet and perfectly spiced tomato sauce, mixed with ground beef, penne pasta, and cheese. This classic summer camp lunch is elevated to a dinner-worthy casserole.
So head to Walmart.com for Walmart Online Grocery (OG), and pickup your Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce to go along with all your other favorites and make this year’s National Sloppy Joe Day one to remember!
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 14.5 ounce Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce 1 can, 2 if you want it saucier
- 16 ounces Penne Pasta
- 2 1/2 cups Colby-Jack cheese shredded
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook penne, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Brown the ground beef and ground pork sausage, and drain off the fat.
- Add the onion, and green bell pepper, into the hot skillet and cook 3-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sauce; reduce heat and simmer until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked penne, half of the cheese, and all of the ground meat and Manwich mixture. Stir together.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with the remaining half of the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinner board: