Indian Butter Chicken. Chicken thighs or chicken breasts cooked to perfection in a creamy spiced tomato sauce and topped with cilantro. This delicious dish, similar to tikka masala, and spiced with Indian spices, is sure to be a family favorite in no time. And did I mention it comes together super quickly?
Okay, I want to clear one thing up really quickly…this is not an authentic recipe. The chicken does not have bones in it. It does not start with dry chicken. And it doesn’t actually have any butter. It might be closer to a Tikka Masala than an Indian Butter Chicken. I have no intention of offending any kind of culture or cuisine type. I just love food, and this version of this recipe tastes delicious.
This recipe is full of Indian spices, and one of those foods that you eat so fast you practically inhale because that creamy, buttery, spicy, tomato sauce is seriously delicious and you can’t stop eating it.
I clearly remember the first time I went to an Indian restaurant to eat. I have never been picky, but I wasn’t super adventurous with food either.
My husband and I decided to try a local Indian restaurant, and when we opened our car doors my nose was assaulted with those rich spices. All the way in the parking lot I could smell the food. I was a little worried. But, my mouth instantly started watering. And the food did not let me down.
I have been hooked since.
We went home after eating, and the scent clung. I kept sniffing myself. Hahahah. I didn’t even want to wash my clothes, the smell made me happy. And hungry.
I have always been a little hesitant to try any recipes at home because I didn’t want to make my whole house smell, and I am happy to report that the scent, while delicious, fades quickly and won’t leave you feeling like you are living in an Indian restaurant kitchen.
You will enjoy every bite. Every spicy and delicious bite. And when I say spicy, I don’t mean hot, heat, make your mouth burn spicy. I mean layer upon layer of flavor–spicy. Often when I am recipe testing, I make the same recipe over and over with slight tweaks, and my family gets sick of it fast. This recipe is one of the few they still want to eat. Sure, they don’t want it every single night. But I made it a week ago, and they gobbled it right up.
Serves 1 cup
Delicious and flavorful Indian Butter Chicken. Rich flavor and quick prep.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- ½ cup sour cream or plain greek style yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbs ginger paste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs (boneless and skinless) or chicken breast (boneless and skinless) cut into pieces.
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1 Tbs white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cut chicken into pieces, and season with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream or plain yogurt with the lemon juice, tumeric, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, ginger paste, minced garlic, and toss with chunked up chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Preferably longer.
- Heat the vegetable oil over high heat in a large fry pan.
- Add the chicken coated in the Marinade and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomato, sugar and salt.
- Turn down to low and cover with lid. Let simmer for 20 minutes if using chicken thighs, 15 minutes if using chicken breasts.
- Add the cream, and stir well.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
This butter chicken recipe was slightly adapted from Recipe Tin Eats
Pin to your Chicken Board on Pinterest: