Creamy Clam Chowder
Creamy Clam Chowder is easy to make and oh so cozy!
This homemade version is unbelievably creamy, flavorful, and chockfull of everything you would expect in a cream based chowder!
Grab your fuzzy socks, and hunker down, this is a chowder worth staying in for.
A good bowl of Creamy Clam Chowder is one of those things in life you just need.
There is no disputing the comfort associated with a hot bowl of chowder inside, when the weather turns cold out.
It is just about to become soup season and I couldn’t be more thrilled.
Have you ever watched the movie Sound of Music?
I grew up listening to Julie Andrews sing to the children she was a governess for, and loving every moment of it.
In one of the songs she sings in the movie, they talk about their favorite things, for example, brown paper packages tied up with string.
Well, if I was to write that song, I would include a big cozy bowl of chowder.
I am not a fan of cold weather, but love cold weather foods.
Steaming up a bowl of soup or chowder, a blanket, some cozy music, and a fire is just what I need.
I just do. Can’t help it. It gets me every time.
When setting this ambience for my Creamy Clam Chowder, I enjoy the detail of these Mikasa soup bowls.
I like them because the handles are non-heating.
What you need to make creamy clam chowder
One of the things I love about this recipe is it is not one that is super “clam-y” but instead the clams add a subtle flavor that pairs beautifully with the cream.
But there is not so much cream that you feel heavy and yucky after eating a bowl.
Another thing I really love about this Creamy Clam Chowder is it is very easy to customize.
Want carrots? Add them in. Want to go light on the potatoes? Leave some out.
- Diced potatoes: hearty
- Diced celery:
- Chopped onions:
- Heavy cream:
- Salt and pepper to taste:
How do you make creamy clam chowder
As a kid, I hated clam chowder. I couldn’t get past the chewy, slimy, yucky texture of clams.
Then as an adult I realize the clams add flavor, and this creamy, delicious soup is not to be missed.
Because I was never a fan of clam chowder, it took me years to realize how amazing it can really be.
Chowder is an art form. I can appreciate the delicate subtleties from the creamy base, and hearty potatoes, herbs, spices, and of course…the clams.
It is a hearty chowder, with plenty of potatoes and celery and onions to help me feel full, and a great flavor base.
- Combine: vegetables with the liquid from the clams cans in a large pot, add water to cover vegetables fully.
- Cook soup: Cook over medium heat until vegetables are fork tender.
- Make the milk mixture: In another pan, melt butter, slowly add flour, cream, and milk, stirring well
- Combine together: Combine the milk mixture with the vegetable mixture, add clams, salt, sugar, and salt and pepper. Then, mix it all together. Taste, season as desired for your perfect combination of creamy clam chowder.
- Simmer: Let simmer 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Make it a complete meal:
This creamy clam chowder soup, is delicious. With the meaty clams and creamy sauce, it really is a complete meal on its own.
However, if you are anything like me, I love a little bread with my soup.
But when I am making a savory, comfort food, the last thing I want to do is add a ton of extra work. So here are a few easy recipes to try to make a complete meal.
- 7 Minute (Prep) Artisan Crock Pot Bread (Takes 1.5 hours to cook)
- Italian Garden Salad
- Crock Pot Bread
Storing creamy clam chowder
MMM! I just am in love with clam chowder.
I am so bummed that I spent half my life avoiding this wonderful chowder.
This is perfect to make ahead or even freeze for another time.
- Make ahead:
- Warm up:
Try some of my other creamy soups here:
- Creamy Chicken Orzo Soup
- Homemade Creamy And Cheesy Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Meatball Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Bacon Broccoli and Cheddar Wild Rice Soup
Creamy Clam Chowder
- 5 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 26 ounces clams 4 cans, minced
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 pint milk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- water as needed
- Combine vegetables with the liquid from the clams cans in a large pot, add water to cover vegetables fully.
- Cook over medium heat until vegetables are fork tender.
- In another pan, melt butter, slowly add flour, cream, and milk, stirring well
- Combine the milk mixture with the vegetable mixture, add clams, salt, sugar, and salt and pepper.
- Mix it all together.
- Taste, season as desired.
- Let simmer 15-20 minutes. serve warm.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your SOUPS board: