Instant Pot Greek Chicken Gyros: tender greek chicken, marinated then cooked in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or stove top, then layered in a pita with creamy homemade tzatziki, and a Greek salad. Perfect make ahead meal for lunches all week.
All of your favorite Greek flavors, from creamy feta to brine-y Kalamata olives, layered together in a pita bread for a tasty, hearty, and super simple to make Greek Chicken Gyros. The chicken is marinated in a flavorful Greek marinade, then cooked in the Instant Pot for a quick, low mess, easy meal.
Greek Chicken Gyros (Instant Pot)
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Chicken pinboard!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest
My favorite thing about these Greek Chicken Gyros, besides the fact that they are made in the Instant Pot, which I am obsessed with (read all about how to use the Instant Pot here), is all the flavor.
I mean, just look at them…is your mouth watering yet?
I love everything Greek, which might be obvious by the volume of Greek inspired recipes on my site:
- Greek Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken Thighs
- Greek Chicken Skewers with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce
- Classic Greek Salad
- Greek Marinated Steak with Corn Feta Relish
But you guys, I love the flavors in Greek foods, from the lemons to the dill to the feta, and oh let’s not even start on the Kalamata olives. These gyros take all those amazing things, and combine them into a seriously tasty bite. The marinade on the chicken is one of my go to marinades. It is just that good. And can be adjusted to your preference, with additional garlic, or lemon, etc.
The chicken is great, the tzatziki classic, but if you ask me, the real show stopper is this Greek Salad! Crunchy cucumber, tangy tomatoes, flavorful red onions, kalamata olives, and of course, little bits and pieces of that creamy feta that just pulls it all together.
I eat this plain. By the spoonful. But when added to the gyros, it takes it up a notch, and just makes the whole thing just that much more delicious.
This is a great lunch option, prep everything separately, and assemble fresh right before eating. You don’t want the pita to be soggy, so you shouldn’t make it too early.
Instant Pot Tips:
- Sear chicken on saute function in batches. You want a nice golden crust on it.
- Deglaze your pot after searing your chicken. You want to pour some water or stock into it, and use a wooden spoon to scrape all the brown bits off the bottom. Do a good job of it because you do not want the dreaded BURN reading to happen.
- Put your chicken on the trivet, you don’t want to boil it, you just got a nice crust from the sear, so don’t ruin it by then boiling it. Instead, use the water to create pressure, and cook your chicken through.
- Natural release for at least 5 minutes before you quick release the pressure. You don’t want dried out chicken.
Other Instant Pot Recipes You Will Love:
Instant Pot Greek Chicken Gyros
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 to 6 pita breads or flat breads
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- ½ tsp parsley
- ½ tsp dill
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 English cucumber seeded, finely grated and drained
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp fresh chopped mint
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- A drizzle of olive oil 1 tsp
- 3 roma tomatoes deseeded and diced
- 2 english cucumbers diced
- 1/2 red onion peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup pitted Kalamat olives
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag, and massage to combine.
- Add chicken to the bag, and make sure each piece is covered in marinade.
- Let marinade for minimum 2 hours, preferably 8-10.
Make the Tzatziki
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise.
- Scrape out the seeds, and then finely chop or grate the remaining cucumber.
- Wrap it in a paper towel or cheesecloth, and squeeze out liquid.
- Place in bowl, and add remaining ingredients and combine.
- Taste, adjust salt and pepper to preference.
- Cover in place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to give flavors a chance to combine
- Combine ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add 1 Tbs olive oil to the bottom of a 6 qt or larger Instant Pot.
- Choose the Saute Function.
- Once hot, sear the chicken on both sides, in small batches, do not crowd the pot. Set the browned chicken on a platter.
- When all the chicken is browned, add 1 cup chicken broth, and any of the remaining marinade to the bottom of the pot.
- Place the trivet into the pot and add the browned chicken to the pot, along with any juices that have collected on the platter.
- Put lid onto the pot and lock lid in place.
- Select High Pressure and 8 minutes cook time. (It will take about 10 minutes to reach high pressure.)
- After 8 minutes cook time, turn off pressure cooker and let pressure naturally release for 5 minutes, then quick pressure release remaining pressure.
Stove-Top Instructions for Chicken
- On the stove-top over medium-high heat, heat a large skillet.
- Add 1 Tbs Olive oil to skillet,
- Remove chicken from marinade, and add chicken to skillet.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked (internal temp 1165 degrees) and golden brown.
- Layer pita bread or flatbread with cooked chicken, add tzatziki and salad to preference, and wrap half in foil to hold it all together so it is easier to eat.
Pin to your Chicken or Instant Pot board: