This post is sponsored by Mirum. All opinions are my own.
LOW CALORIE SHEET PAN DINNER: SHRIMP AND ASPARAGUS
Hands down one of my favorite meals, this honey lemon garlic shrimp and asparagus is bursting with flavor but boasts only 321 calories a serving. And it is made on one pan, in under 20 minutes, making it a quick, easy, and flavorful meal.
Low Calorie Meals
As a busy mom, I know how important it is to have quick, healthy dinner options for those hectic, chaotic nights, when you are trying to fit dinner between activities. I know in the past, I have turned to unhealthy, fast and convenient, often pre-packaged or drive thru options over the better for you things simply because it was easier. Well with this recipe there is no excuse.
This recipe gives you all the flavor and all of the convenience, with only a fraction of the calories. It is a low-calorie meal that is delicious, simple, and something my whole family loves. I love sheet pan dinners, but wanted a lightened up, lower calorie, better for me version of some of my favorite flavors, and this is what came as the result.
As part of my New Year’s resolution to make better choices, I am cutting calories, but not by doing some fad diet, which I can never stick to anyway. Instead, I am making simple swaps, that make a big difference. For example, I am swapping out my favorite sugary soda for water, and fatty spreads for I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!, as well as trading in some of the chaos and crazy for simple and healthy.
I love a good garlic butter shrimp, but I don’t love the hefty price tag of big calories that comes with it. But now I can get unbelievable taste, 70% less fat than butter, only 60 calories per serving with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!.
You might be feeling skeptical, but here is the thing, the taste is awesome, giving you all that buttery goodness you want, and this spread is made with simple ingredients, no artificial preservatives, no artificial flavors, no partially hydrogenated oils, it is gluten free, cholesterol free, offers 0g trans-fat per serving, and is made with vegetable oils that contain good fats! And to top it off, it is a good source of Omega 3 ALA. So, in other words, you get all the good, and way less fat.
You can swap it into all of your favorite recipes, making them healthy, flavorful, and fewer calories. Or check out the “Better for You” section of the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! website for meal inspiration. After you make something irresistible, share it on social media, and tag them using #icantbelievethisrecipe
Where to Find I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! is distributed nationwide, you can find it in the butter aisle. I picked mine up at Albertsons, where I was already shopping, it was easy to find, and easy to use. And I love that it I don’t have to make a special trip to get it, as it is already at my favorite stores to get my groceries.
Albertsons shoppers be sure to look for this unbelievably healthy option, available now at an unbelievable price.
And sign into your Just 4 U account to save $0.50 off with this digital offer! Save $0.50 off any (1) ICBINB! product (1/22/19-2/15/19)
What can I bake for dinner?
I love keeping some shrimp on hand in my freezer because it defrosts very quickly, which means even on days when I forget to pull something out of the freezer or plan ahead for dinner, we can have a tasty, delicious meal in no time.
This recipe for Honey Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus is so simple, the sauce is comprised of things you probably already have on hand, like honey, soy sauce, and paprika.
To make it, you need a sheet pan and an oven. You start your asparagus, and while it bakes for the initial time, you can throw the sauce together and peel your shrimp.
Then you just place everything on the sheet pan and put it back in the oven for a few more minutes. Shrimp cooks very quickly, which means you won’t be waiting for hours to eat.
Sheet Pan Dinners Tips:
While this meal is already super simple, low calorie, and delicious, thanks to I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! There are a few tips to make it even easier.
- Trimming asparagus. Did you know the simplest way to trim asparagus is to simply bend it. It will naturally snap at the point where the woody, yucky stalk meets the tender delicious parts. Trust me, those are the only parts you will want to eat. So, don’t bother with a cutting board and knife, and dirtying more dishes. Just bend and snap… (name that movie)!
- Use Pre-minced garlic. When it comes to simple dinners a few easy short cuts make a big difference, and one of my favorites is using pre-minced garlic. You can buy it in a jar, and keep it in the fridge, and it is far faster and easier than peeling, and chopping fresh garlic.
- Peeling and cleaning shrimp: after peeling your shrimp, and cleaning off any of the vessels, run it under cold water to remove any lingering pieces or bits. It is a quick and simple way to make sure you don’t get any rogue shrimp shells in your dinner.
- The size of your shrimp. For this recipe I used jumbo shrimp because I felt they cook best on the sheet pan with the vegetables, but you can use whatever shrimp you have. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly. The asparagus needs about 15 minutes, so if you are using small shrimp, add them closer to the end.
- Seasoning adjustments. Every palate is different. We love garlic and lemon at our house, but if you want a milder flavor, or not as much garlic, adjust for your preference. I am a firm believer of tasting before saucing. So mix your sauce up, taste it, and adjust before dumping it over your shrimp and vegetables.
- Line your tray for easier clean up. Or use a silpat! I love that this is a 2-dish dinner (one bowl to mix the sauce and one tray to cook), but I love making the cleanup even easier by lining the tray with foil or using a baking mat so I don’t have to scrub anything off the tray.
Tools Needed for One Pan Honey Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus:
Silpat: This baking mat will line your tray so clean up is so much easier and you don’t have to slave away scrubbing off the mess.
Sheet pan: You need a good sheet pan for this meal, and these are great! Just throw your ingredients on it and into the oven.
One Pan Honey Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus
- 1 lb asparagus trimmed
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp I Can't Believe Its Not Butter!
Honey Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 1/3 cup lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp cleaned, peeled
- 2 Tbsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim asparagus, and lay on a sheet pan in a single row.
- Dot with 2 Tbs of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!
- Sprinkle with minced garlic (1 Tbs, or less, to your preference).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and add mushrooms to the pan, use a big spoon to stir it all together so the mushrooms get coated with some of the pan drippings.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Honey Lemon Garlic Sauce, and stir together.
- Add the cleaned and peeled Jumbo Shrimp to the other side of the sheet pan.
- Dot shrimp with the other 2 Tbsps of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!
- Pour the Honey Lemon Garlic Sauce over the top.
- Put the sheet pan into the oven, and bake for another 8 minutes, or until shrimp is pink and cooked through, and mushrooms and asparagus is tender.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Low Calorie Meals board: