Slow Cooker BBQ Drumsticks
Slow Cooker BBQ Drumsticks is an easy and delicious dish. Make for a dinner, appetizer, or bring to a party.
I love this recipe because it is so easy! Just combine some spices, add some barbecue sauce, and cook.
While I love BBQ Chicken Skewers (Homemade BBQ Sauce), sometimes I want a recipe that is even more simple than BBQ Chicken Skewers.
What You Need to Make Slow Cooker BBQ Drumsticks
Get some spices, your favorite barbecue sauce, and some skin-on, bone-in chicken drumsticks and you will be ready to go.
- Brown Sugar
- Sweet Paprika
- Dried Parsley
- Dry Mustard
- Ground Cumin
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Pounds Skin-On, Bone-In Chicken Drumsticks
- Barbecue Sauce of Choice
- Vegetable Oil Spray
How to Make Slow Cooker BBQ Drumsticks
Time needed: 6 hours.
This dish is easy and delicious. First combine seasonings, then trim and pat dry your drumsticks. Then coat chicken with seasonings and transfer to the slow cooker, topping the chicken with barbecue sauce. Once drumsticks are done cooking, brush with more barbecue sauce and transfer to the oven to broil for a crispy outside. Take out of the oven and put on a plate to enjoy.
- Combine Seasonings.
In a bowl, combine sugar, paprika, mustard, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Prep Drumsticks.
Trim and pat chicken drumsticks dry.
- Coat Chicken with Seasonings.
Coat chicken by rubbing the seasoning mix all over.
- Cook Chicken with Barbecue Sauce.
Transfer drumsticks into the slow cooker, and pour ½ a cup of barbecue sauce over the top.Put the slow cooker lid on and cook chicken 4 to 6 hours on low.
5. Position Oven Rack and Preheat Oven.
Position the oven rack 10 inches from the broiler.
Preheat oven to broil on high. Line a baking sheet with foil, and place a wire rack over the top. Spray rack with cooking spray.
6. Cook Chicken in the Oven for Crispiness.
Transfer chicken from the slow cooker, and place on the rack over the lined cooking sheet.
Brush chicken with additional barbecue sauce, and broil for crispiness.
Then flip the chicken over and brush with the remaining sauce. Broil for another 5-10 minutes.
7. Take Drumsticks out and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks for making Slow Cooker BBQ Drumsticks
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy but here are some helpful tips and tricks so it goes smoothly every time….
- Accompany Drumsticks with Ranch Sauce: Ranch dressing makes a great sauce for dipping. Also if using a marinade or BBQ sauce that is too spicy, it is a great way to help counteract the heat.
- Plan on 3 Drumsticks Per Person: You want to make sure you have enough drumsticks. Usually 3 drumsticks is a good serving size per person.
- Store Bought Sauce works Great: While homemade barbecue sauce is fabulous if you have the time, it isn’t necessary for this recipe. Just pick your favorite barbecue sauce and know that it will be a delicious meal.
- Want a Little Crisp? Finish Chicken in the Oven: This recipe calls for putting the chicken in the oven. This isn’t because the chicken isn’t done, it’s so it will have an outer crispiness.
- Defrosted Meat is Best for the Slow Cooker: Since food is slow cooked in the slow cooker, you don’t want the food to remain in a temperature range for too long where bacteria can grow. In order to prevent that from happening, make sure poultry is defrosted first.
Make Ahead and Storage
How to make this recipe ahead of time:
This meal is so easy, no need to prep ahead of time. However, for an additional jump on things, you could make it ahead and reheat in the microwave if you so desire.
Note: Drumsticks will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
- Place raw chicken in a gallon sized freezer bag.
- Add sauce to the bag and mix around so all of the chicken is evenly coated.
- Seal bag and place in the freezer.
- Defrost in the fridge and cook.
I can’t wait for you to try these treasures. You will love Slow Cooker BBQ Drumsticks.
Other Great Recipes:
- Baked Sesame Drumsticks
- Spicy Molasses Chicken Drumsticks
- Fried Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Wings
- Lemon Garlic Rosemary Grilled Chicken
Slow Cooker BBQ Drumsticks
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pounds skil-on bone-in chicken drumsticks
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce of choice
- Vegetable oil spray
- In a small bowl mix together sugar, paprika, mustard, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Trim and pat chicken drumsticks dry.
- Rub seasoning mix all over the chicken until it is well coated.
- Put chicken in a 5 quart slow cooker, and pour ½ a cup of barbecue sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender 4 to 6 hours on low.
- Position your oven rack 10 inches from the broiler.
- Preheat oven to broil on high. Line a baking sheet with foil, and place a wire rack over the top. Spray rack with cooking spray.
- Take chicken out of slow cooker, and place on the rack over the lined cooking sheet. Discard and cooking liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Brush chicken with ½ cup of barbecue sauce, and broil until crisp (10-15 minutes)
- Flip the chicken over and brush with the remaining sauce. Broil for another 5-10 minutes.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinner’s board on Pinterest: