Tomato Burrata Salad
Tomato Burrata Salad is a variety of fresh garden tomatoes that are filled with sweet and tangy flavors topped with a rich and creamy burrata, fresh basil, and drizzled with balsamic glaze!
We love our garden fresh ingredients and enjoy tomatoes year round. Try these tomato recipes Baked Parmesan Basil Heirloom Tomatoes, Greek Cucumber Salad or Balsamic Caprese Chicken (Grill or Stove Top).
Picked straight from the garden and layered makes this salad fresh and light! Adding the balsamic glaze gives it an added boost of that salad feel! And a fun burst of sweetness!
Burrata has a creamy texture with curds hidden inside a smooth, pillow like texture of mozzarella. Creamy and smooth! It makes this salad decadent and even more delicious!
How do you serve burrata?
Burrata is one of my favorite ingredients. It is the creamy curds of mozzarella wrapped in a ball of mozzarella. Basically it is the creamiest, most delicious cheese.
There are a few ways to enjoy the creamy and fresh taste of burrata.
- Plain. Sprinkle of Salt and drizzle some olive oil over top of it.
- Spread. Bread or crackers are always a top choice to enjoy burrata on top of.
- Combining. It can be combined with mozzarella cheese or other cheeses.
- Pizza. It is a great way to top a pizza.
- Salad. But my favorite way to enjoy burrata is in this caprese like salad! (Or maybe this peach burrata salad).
How to Pick A Good Heirloom Tomato
There is literally nothing worse that investing time, effort, and money into a good tomato salad only to have it fall flat because they tomatoes aren’t good.
A good heirloom tomato will be sweet and flavorful, and make you want to lick your plate clean.
So how can you choose a good one when shopping for ingredients?
Use your senses:
- Look: Look at the skin. If the tomato is ripe, the skin should be taut and shiny, and not have any bruising. The bottom should be dark in color.
- Touch: Pick the tomato up and feel it. You want it to be firm, but have a slight give when you pick it up, not when you squeeze it. Also, a ripe tomato will be denser than a non-ripe tomato, so is it heavy?
- Smell: Sniff the tomato. Can you smell it? Does it smell the way you want it to taste? If you can’t smell much, it probably won’t taste that great. The best tasting tomatoes smell the best. So go ahead and sniff it!
How to you make an heirloom tomato salad?
One of the main ingredients of this delicious tomato burrata salad is the tomatoes. What makes them special? Beyond the vibrant colors, it is the flavors. We use heirloom tomatoes here, and mix in large and grape sized for variety, color, and flavor.
Heirloom tomatoes are sweet and crunchy, and beautifully colored. And make a great tomato salad.
Steps to a great heirloom tomato salad:
- Dressing: Extra virgin olive oil, ground black pepper, paprika and dried oregano, basil and salt. Keeping it simple and fresh is best so that flavors of the tomatoes can really shine.
- Tomatoes: Red, green, dark red heirloom tomatoes mixed with yellow and dark red mini heirloom tomatoes.
- Cut the tomatoes in halves or quarter them to make them easier to serve.
- Burrata: Cut the burrata in halves or quarter it to your liking. This allows the creamy insides to be easy to access and mix with the sweet tomatoes.
- Chiffon: You want fresh basil leaves so you get that pungent flavor, chiffon them and sprinkle over the tomatoes and cheese.
- Balsamic Glaze: best to drizzle this over everything. You can also use balsamic reduction too! Glaze is sweeter, so use your preference.
What is the difference between Buffalo mozzarella and burrata?
Both burrata and buffalo mozzarella are delicious additions to this salad. And you can use either of them. But they are not the same thing, even if they are extremely similar.
Burrata is a fresh Italian cow milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream. The outer shell is a firm mozzarella that contains the inner cream and curds.
Burrata is often served fresh and at room temperature. It is excellent served with a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. The fresher the burrata is, the softer is will be.
Buffalo mozzarella cheese is a mozzarella made from Italian buffalo milk. It is known to be creamier, softer and far more flavorful than cows milk.
It is similar to burrata in that it is creamy and delicious. But comes from a different animal milk.
Can this tomato burrata salad be made ahead?
This salad is best freshly chopped and put together all at once to be enjoyed. You can prepare ahead of time but is not recommended.
If you are going to try and prep ahead, might I suggest washing your ingredients and laying them out ahead, but not slicing them until just before you are ready to serve. This will help them keep their structure, and allow for more vibrant and delicious flavors.
What Can I Serve with Tomato Burrata Salad?
This is always a great lunch time meal to enjoy. It is simple, quick and easy to prepare and mix together with a taste that leaves you fulfilled.
Tomato burrata salad can also be used as a side dish or an appetizer plate.
Love freshly made salads?! Try these salads:
- Greek Chicken Wedge Salad
- Salmon Avocado Salad
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Sweet Tea Infused Dressing
- Apple Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
- Cucumber Radish Salad with Creamy Salad Dressing
Tomato Burrata Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbs basil chiffoned
- 3 Heirloom tomatoes green, red, dark red
- 10 mini heirloom tomatoes yellow and red
- 8 ounces burrata
- 2 large basil leaves
- 2-4 Tbs balsamic reduction or balsamic glaze
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, ground black pepper, paprika, oregano, and chiffoned basil. Set aside.
- Slice heirloom tomatoes into 1 cm thick slices.
- Halve or quarter mini heirloom tomatoes
- Lay tomatoes out on a platter.
- Halve the burrata or quarter it. Place it over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and seasoning mixture.
- Chiffon the two large basil leaves, and sprinkle over the top of the platter.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction or balsamic glaze.
- Serve immediately.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Summer Salads board on Pinterest: