Broccoli Chicken Casserole:
Creamy, cheesy, chicken and rice casserole with crisp, but tender broccoli, and gooey, melty cheese, all baked to perfection.
This is a weeknight win for dinner, it can be made quickly and easily using leftovers, bakes up deliciously, and is something the whole family will love. It is loaded with flavor and nutrition, and is a complete meal in one since it has the starch, protein, and veggie all in one.
Serve with Raspberry Lemonade and Garlic Bread Twists for a great dinner.
Broccoli Chicken Casserole was a staple in my house as a kid. My mom made it all the time, and I loved it. I loved the creaminess, the chicken, and oh yeah…the cheese. And broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables. I also have an instant pot version of this recipe that is tasty and amazing: Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice
As an adult, I still love broccoli chicken casserole and so do my kids. I figured it better share this beauty with you guys so you can enjoy it too!
One of my favorite things about this casserole is it makes for a great make ahead meal. You can prep it in advance and freeze it, then just defrost and bake the day you want to eat it. This is especially helpful on busy nights. So just make up a big batch, divide into foil containers you can bake it right in, and you get an easy, mess free, fuss free dinner!
Here is what we love:
- Easy to make
- Can be made ahead
Customizable and Substitutions
One of the things I really love about this easy casserole is that you can change it up to suit your needs. I usually use whatever chicken I have on hand, and the odds and ends veggies too. Sometimes I will add some cheddar cheese for a sharper flavor, or double up on broccoli if I feel like my kids haven’t had enough vegetables.
Don’t be afraid to have a little fun with it. That is the joy of a casserole, add in the cheese, and you can really put whatever else you want in. Just be sure to taste it and season as you need with salt and pepper!
Ideas for changing it up:
- Add zucchini, carrots, or other vegetables.
- Use white or brown rice, your choice.
- Use leftover Roasted Chicken Thighs, Rotisserie chicken, or whatever you have on hand.
- Change the cheese up, or use a cheese blend. Sharp cheddar is another favorite.
Broccoli Chicken Rice Casserole Tips:
- Customize it: Use whatever rice you have. I love using brown rice, but it is also great with leftover white rice. This is an awesome leftovers dinner.
- Chicken: Use whatever chicken you have. You can grab a rotisserie chicken, or some chicken thighs, or even chicken breasts.
- Perfect veggies: Undercook the broccoli a bit, it will finish cooking while you bake the casserole, making it perfect.
- Watch it Bake: Bake until the cheese is melty. It makes it so stringy and fun! Don’t over bake as this can dry it out.
- Make Ahead: A ceramic baking dish is a great choice because it promotes even baking, this is my favorite ceramic baking dish. But if you want to cook them later, I love preparing in foil baking pans. They are disposable and freeze well.
When making this, sometimes you don’t eat it all in one go, so here are a few tips for storing leftovers:
- Cool Completely First.
- Use Air Tight Containers.
- Divide into Portions: This helps to keep you from repeatedly heating and cooling the entire dish.
- Label and Date
- Refrigerate or Freeze.
- Consume Within 3-4 days
Freezing: To freeze a casserole, make sure it has cooled completely before placing in the freezer. Transfer it to a freezer-safe container or wrap it tightly in multiple layers of plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Consider freezing in individual portions for convenience.
Thawing and Reheating: When you’re ready to eat the stored casserole, you will want to thaw it first, and then reheat in the microwave, or by placing it in the oven until warmed through.
Quality Check: Before consuming a stored casserole, check for any signs of spoilage, such as an off odor, mold growth, or unusual texture. If it appears or smells suspicious, discard it.
Other chicken recipes you will love:
- Chicken Enchilada Meal Prep Bowls
- Orzo Chicken Soup
- Spinach Artichoke Baked Chicken
- Sticky Chicken Bites
- Greek Chicken Bowls
- Italian Chicken Bowls
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- 1 lb chicken thighs diced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 onion small, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms optional, diced
- 3 cups brown rice cooked
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese Colby jack or cheese of choice
- 12 ounces cream of mushroom soup or use alternative of 2 Tbs butter, 2 Tbs flour, 1 cup milk, and seasonings
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pan, add garlic, onion and mushroom, cook 2 mins
- Add in diced chicken, cook thoroughly
- Steam broccoli until just under cooked, and remove from heat
- Mix together,
- Add rice, creamed soup, milk, half the cheese, and seasoning
- Mix thoroughly, and put in baking dish
- Top with remaining cheese
- (Cook later) Let cool and freeze
- Or Bake in a Ceramic Baking Dish covered with foil at 350 for 45 mins
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Chicken board on Pinterest:
Leave a Reply