This post has been sponsored by Horizon®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Chocolate Almond Chia Seed Pudding: This decadent chia seed pudding recipe is a simple, overnight recipe with easy-to-find ingredients and added perks—like making your morning routine easier.
Delicious and protein-packed, this Chocolate Almond Chia Seed Pudding uses Horizon® Grass-Fed Whole Milk (which I found at Albertsons), chia seeds, cocoa powder, vanilla, pure maple syrup, slivered almonds, and a touch of cinnamon. It tastes like Mexican hot chocolate and is one of my favorite ways to start the day.
It may be March but part of my plan to ring in the new year involves having a better morning routine, one that includes eating breakfast. But with 4 kids at 3 different schools and the craziness that ensues around here, having breakfast solutions that can be prepped ahead are vital to my success with this goal.
In my attempt to come up with some ways to prep ahead for breakfast, I was browsing the aisles of Albertsons. While perusing the dairy coolers, I spotted this Horizon® Grass-Fed Milk. I knew I had to get it. I was really excited to try it with this chia seed pudding recipe.
Of course, I wasn’t surprised that it is refreshingly creamy with an awesome taste. And I love even more that it comes from pasture-raised cows. There is something so satisfying about knowing where the food you consume is coming from and knowing the farmer planted the grass. And the milk is delicious… it just makes me happy.
As an added bonus, you can find this great coupon offer for Horizon® Organic Milk—including the Horizon® Protein Milk (this recipe is amazing with the Horizon® Protein Chocolate Milk – the NEW Organic High Protein Milk with 12g protein in every serving).
How long can you keep chia seed pudding in the fridge?
One of the best parts about this recipe for chia seed pudding is you can make it ahead. It is quick and easy to make, like honestly, it takes about 5 minutes to throw together, and it keeps in the fridge for about 5 days.
You do need to give it one night for the chia seeds to soak in all of that amazing Horizon® Grass-Fed Milk but the next day, you have a decadent breakfast ready to rock. And if you make it on Sunday, you can use it for breakfast for the whole week.
The measurements for this particular recipe only makes about 16 ounces, so I typically fill 4 4-ounce jars and this gives me a tasty treat or a quick breakfast 4 days of the week.
How do you make Chia Seed Pudding?
Like I mentioned previously, the chia seed pudding only takes about 5 minutes to whip up. You essentially combine all of the ingredients and then put it in your jars or you can even leave it in a big bowl.
Then, you pop it in the refrigerator overnight. This gives the pudding a chance to “set up.”
Sometimes it separates a little, so I like to give it a quick stir before serving. I love serving it with fresh-cut berries and slivered almonds.
What is the Texture of Chia Seed Pudding?
Unlike traditional puddings, chia seed pudding has some texture. While it is creamy and smooth, there are chia seeds in it, so it’s more like a tapioca pudding. I personally love the variety the texture adds, but be aware that it does have texture. You can see how it is in the image below.
Variations for Chia Seed Pudding:
For additional texture and variety, I love adding in slivered almonds. It gives me a few crunchy bites here and there. I toast the almonds sometimes or add them in raw.
If I want them to stay extra crunchy, I wouldn’t add them into the mixture but instead stir them in just before serving.
You can also top the chia seed pudding with other fun textures or flavors, like berries, crunchy granola, more nuts, or, if you love chocolate, try chocolate shavings or chocolate chips.
Think of it like a tasty canvas. The Horizon Grass-Fed Whole Milk makes it rich and creamy, with that chocolatey goodness, so add whatever makes you happy. One of my favorite toppings is toasted coconut!
One of the times I get in the most trouble with my eating, and regret my choices after, is when I am hungry and I don’t have something quick and easy to grab. By taking 5 minutes to whip up a batch of chia seed pudding on the weekend, I can enjoy it all week long.
Incorporating chocolate almond chia seed pudding into my regular routine has made mornings go smoother and offers a quick and simple craving buster when I want some chocolate.
Everything I need for this simple treat is stuff I already keep on hand.
- If you want a thinner consistency, use additional Horizon® Organic Milk products.
- Make ahead but not too far ahead. 5 days is the max you want to make chia pudding ahead. And it is best on the earlier days. Sometimes, I even add a little extra liquid on day 5 to thin it out some.
- Don’t be afraid of mix-ins. While perusing the aisles at Albertsons, I grabbed coconut chips, cacoa chips, fresh berries, coconut cream, and other fun things to try with my chia seed pudding. This allows me to add some variety to my breakfast without actually having to fix separate things.
- Store in individual sized containers for a quick grab-and-go breakfast option. I am a light breakfast eater, so I make 4 jars that are 4 ounces each. My husband, who eats larger quantities in the mornings, prefers when I prepare these in 8-ounce jars. When I do this, I double the recipe.
Chocolate Almond Chia Seed Pudding
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup more if you want it sweeter
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups Horizon® Grass-Fed Milk
- To a small mixing bowl, add chia seeds, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, use a fork to lightly whisk it all together.
- Add Horizon Grass-Fed Milk to the bowl and whisk until a paste forms.
- Dish into individual serving containers (4 4-ounce jars with lids) or leave in the bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least 3-5 hours, until it reaches a pudding-like consistency.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Don’t forget to use the Albertsons app and take advantage of this great coupon offer for Horizon® Organic Milk products. Make your mornings easier with this make-ahead breakfast pudding.