Low Carb Beef Stroganoff is a creamy, feel good low carb meal. Lean ground beef covered in a rich and delicious stroganoff sauce, served over flavorfully fried cabbage strips makes for a fabulous dinner.
This low carb beef stroganoff recipe is loaded with such depth of flavor and filling ingredients that you won’t even miss the noodles.
Low Carb Beef Stroganoff is your answer when you are looking for a classic favorite that won’t take long to prepare and won’t load your plate with unnecessary carbs. This Low Carb Beef Stroganoff recipe can be cooked, prepped, and on your plate in just a short 30 minutes!
What Cut Of Beef Do You Use For Beef Stroganoff?
When it comes to making a classic beef stroganoff, it is recommended to use a tender cut of beef, like a top sirloin.
However, as many of you know top sirloin as well as other tender cuts of beef are not cheap.
In this Low Carb Beef Stroganoff I just use lean ground beef. Ground beef is easy to find, fairly inexpensive, and I find that ground beef pairs nicely with the stroganoff sauce. You don’t really need a super expensive cut of meat for a dish like this.
Ground beef offers a great flavor and texture with the stroganoff sauce and it makes the total price of the dish considerably less than going out and purchasing a top sirloin.
If you really want a cut of beef like top sirloin though you can definitely use it instead of the ground beef in this recipe.
You just want to make sure that the strips are narrowly cut to help with cooking and that you are very conscious of not over cooking it. There is nothing worse than buying a great cut of meat and then overcooking it and making it tough.
How Do You Make Stroganoff Sauce?
Every recipe is slightly different when making a beef stroganoff sauce. However, there are some common basic ingredients that you will find in most stroganoff sauces.
Most sauces have sour cream, mushrooms, and a beef base.
In addition to these basic ingredients, some sauces will use cream of mushroom soup, Worcester sauce and or red wine to add more flavor. Plus some sauces will use cream cheese, and a combination of different spices.
Ingredients In This Low Carb Beef Stroganoff Sauce:
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Better Than Bouillon or Another Beef Base
- Red Wine
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Peper
Some sauces will use flour to help thicken the sauce, but with both sour cream and cream cheese used in this beef stroganoff sauce, there is no need for flour. Plus wheat flour would not be an ingredient to use when trying to make a low carb dish.
What Spices Go Into Beef Stroganoff?
A lot of beef stroganoff sauces use garlic. Garlic is a pretty basic spice and is used in many dishes.
Some other beef stroganoff recipes may change things up a little bit and use spices like, thyme, paprika, tarragon or mustard.
In this low carb beef stroganoff recipe, I use Dijon mustard, parsley and then of course salt and pepper.
I really like the use of Dijon mustard in this beef stroganoff recipe. It’s not overpowering but adds a little character or pizazz to the classic beef stroganoff sauce.
Plus the Dijon mustard partners really well with the other ingredients used.
Can I Cook Beef Stroganoff In A Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! You definitely can make crockpot or slow cooker beef stroganoff.
Basically, instead of having a stove top skillet do all the work, you start your ingredients in the skillet and then transfer them into the slow cooker to do the most and rest of the cooking.
In general, sometimes proportions of liquid may change slightly for a slow cooker recipe versus a stove top recipe, but yes you can definitely cook beef stroganoff in the slow cooker.
The noodles or in the case of a low carb recipe, the cabbage or whatever low carb side chosen, will still need to be done on the stove top though.
How Do You Make Beef Stroganoff In A Slow Cooker?
I have a great crockpot beef stroganoff recipe on the blog. For more details, check it out.
However, here is a basic overview of what you need to do.
How To Make Beef Stroganoff In A Slow Cooker:
- Cook meat and onion in a skillet, just long enough to brown the meat on the outside and just long enough for the onion to start to become translucent.
- Mix sauce and then combine sauce with meat and onions.
- Transfer ingredients to crockpot and cook for 4-6 hours.
- Cook separately noodles or cabbage and add to crockpot for about five minutes.
- Serve and eat.
How Do I Thicken Beef Stroganoff?
There is nothing worse than a thin, watery sauce. Yuck.
Fortunately, with this low carb beef stroganoff recipe, the sauce should be a great consistency and not thin at all.
The use of full fat sour cream and cream cheese in this recipe gives this sauce a great consistency.
However, if you ever find yourself making a sauce and the consistency is just a little bit too thin, don’t worry. There are things you can do to thicken the sauce without changing flavor.
Cornstarch and flour are both thickening agents. A good general rule is add equal parts of cold water to equal parts cornstarch or flour and stir.
You don’t need to use a lot. Just start out with maybe a tablespoon.
Add the thickening mixture to your sauce and watch it thicken right up.
I do have to warn you though, if you are on a low carb or keto friendly diet, I do not recommend these thickening agents. They are not low carb.
For a low carb option consider using arrow root starch. Just like with flour or cornstarch use equal parts water to equal parts starch.
Try Low Carb Beef Stroganoff Tonight.
You are going to love this Low Carb Beef Stroganoff recipe. It’s filling, flavorful, fast to make, and don’t forget, low carb. Yay!
Whether you are looking for a meal that can be made quickly, wanting to minimize your carb intake, or just want a tasty dinner, look no further this dish is for you.
Has this savory dish left you with a sweet tooth? You might want to check out how to make homemade Dole Whip… jus sayin..
Low carb beef stroganoff
- 1 pound ground beef lean
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 3 Tbsp butter divided
- 2 Tbsp red wine
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp beef base I like Better than Bouillon
- 2 oz Cream Cheese I like Philadelphia. Softened
- 2 tsps dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream full fat
- 1 Tbsp parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz cabbage cut into thin strips then fried in a pan until tender with ½ Tbs of olive oil.
- Gather ingredients.
- Slice and cook cabbage in a large skillet over medium high heat with ½ Tbs of olive oil.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Slice mushrooms and onions.
- Add 2 tbsp butter to the same skillet, and put it over medium high heat, and melt the butter.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, or until browned. Turn over, and cook another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Add the remaining tbsp of butter and add onions. Saute until softened.
- Remove the mushrooms and onions from the pan.
- Add the ground beef into the pan, and cook until just browned, then add in the red wine, beef base, and Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon mustard, stirring well.
- Add the mushrooms mixture (with liquid) back into the pan with the ground beef and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, stirring to melt.
- Stir in the sour cream and simmer until desired thickness is reached.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked cabbage.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your low carb board on pinterest: