Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Creamy, easy, Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are your perfect classic mashed potato that goes great with any dish. Buttery, smooth, rich mashed potatoes will become your new favorite side.
I love this recipe because once it is in the slow cooker I can forget about it until dinner time. Plus, I love the use of sour cream and cream cheese in this Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes recipe, making this side a rich, indulgent dish.
While I love some good Cheesy Skillet Potatoes, nothing says comfort food like mashed potatoes. It is a universal side that is a crowd pleaser.
What You Need to Make Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Grab some russet potatoes and a handful of other simple ingredients, and you are well on your way to making the most delicious mashed potatoes ever!
- Russet Potatoes (5 pounds)
- Boiling Water
- Table Salt
- Unsalted Butter
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Fresh Chives
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are the best. Just simply slice potatoes and layer potatoes in the slow cooker. Pour boiling water over the potatoes and brush potatoes with melted butter. Cover the potatoes and cook. Lastly stir in creamy ingredients like cream cheese, butter, and sour cream, and then season and serve. Easy Peasy!
- Slice Potatoes
Peel and thinly slice the potatoes.
- Boil Water.
Microwave the water and bring it to a boil. Then salt the water.
- Melt Butter.
Melt the butter and set aside.
- Layer Potatoes, Pour Boiling Water Over Them, and Brush with Butter.
Layer potatoes in the slow cooker and pour boiling water over them. Then brush potatoes with melted butter.
- Cover and Cook Potatoes.
Press parchment paper over potatoes. Then cover and cook in the slow cooker (5-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high).
- Mash the Potatoes.
Remove parchment paper and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir in Remaining Ingredients.
Stir in butter, sour cream, and softened cream cheese.
- Season and Serve.
Stir in chives, add salt and pepper, and serve.
Tips and Tricks for making Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy but here are some helpful tips and tricks so it goes smoothly every time…
- Use the Slow Cooker to Reheat Mashed Potatoes: If you made mashed potatoes ahead of time, reheat in the slow cooker while preparing other dishes. This way the oven and other appliances are kept available for cooking other food items.
- Parmesan or Flour Can Be Used as Thickeners: These mashed potatoes should be the perfect consistency. However, if your mashed potatoes are ever not thick enough, add parmesan or flour to thicken them. Then of course taste and further season.
- Use a Potato Masher not a Blender: Avoid using a blender to mash your potatoes. A blender tends to mash the potatoes too much leaving them with a less than desired consistency. Stick with a potato masher.
- Provide Fun Toppings: Everyone has heard of a potato bar. Well, you can have a mashed potato bar too! There are many fun toppings to provide for your guests to add to their mashed potatoes. Broccoli, bacon, and cheese are all great options. Get creative!
- Salted Water = Creamier Mashed Potatoes: Remember, don’t leave out the salt in the water. This added element helps create a much creamier mashed potato.
Make Ahead and Storage
How to make this recipe ahead of time:
Mashed potatoes can be made up to two days in advance.
- Follow directions like normal, except don’t add the butter at the end.
- Cool mashed potatoes and transfer them into an airtight container in the fridge.
- Warm-up in the microwave until heated through or use the slow cooker.
- Add butter and stir in.
*Note: Adding butter at the end will make the mashed potatoes feel less like they are reheated mashed potatoes.
While mashed potatoes can be made ahead of time and frozen, sometimes texture can be compromised, so I suggest not making them so far ahead that you have to freeze them.
Other Great Recipes:
- Herb Butter Mashed Potatoes: How to Make Mashed Potatoes
- Super Easy Mashed Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Twice Baked Potato
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds russet potatoes peeled, and sliced (not diced) into ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 ¾ cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted, and divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup cream cheese softened
- 3 Tablespoons minced fresh chives.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Set aside
- Microwave water to bring it to a boil. Add salt to the water, and set aside
- Melt butter, and set aside.
- In a 5-7 quart slow cooker, layer potatoes and pour boiling salted water over the top.
- Brush the top layer of potatoes with 3 Tablespoons of melted butter.
- Cover with a piece of parchment paper, being sure to firmly press the parchment over the top of the potatoes.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- After potatoes are fork tender, remove and discard parchment.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth.
- Stir in remaining 9 tablespoons of butter, sour cream, and softened cream cheese.
- Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in chives, and serve.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinners board on Pinterest: