Indian Butter Chicken Recipe:
If you love Indian food, you are going to love this butter chicken. It is rich, creamy, flavorful, and aromatic. And tastes like take-out. Serve it with Naan for the complete experience.
Chicken thighs or chicken breasts cooked to perfection in a creamy spiced tomato sauce and topped with cilantro. This delicious dish, similar to tikka masala, and spiced with Indian spices, is sure to be a family favorite in no time. And did I mention it comes together super quickly?
Easy butter chicken is perfect for any meal. The perfect blend of Indian spices and flavors combine for a well balanced meal. Just serve over rice for an easy and delicious meal in no time.
A delicious recipe in no time
Okay, I want to clear one thing up really quickly…this is not an authentic recipe. The chicken does not have bones in it. It does not start with dry chicken. And it doesn’t actually have any butter, except the bit you cook the chicken in. It might be closer to a Tikka Masala than an Indian Butter Chicken. I have no intention of offending any kind of culture or cuisine type. I just love food, and this version of this recipe tastes delicious.
Indian Butter Chicken is full of Indian spices like tumeric and garam masala, and one of those foods that you eat so fast you practically inhale because that creamy, buttery, spicy, tomato sauce is seriously delicious and you can’t stop eating it.
Indian food is an experience
I clearly remember the first time I went to an Indian restaurant to eat. I have never been picky, but I wasn’t super adventurous with food either.
My husband and I decided to try a local Indian restaurant, and when we opened our car doors my nose was assaulted with those rich spices. All the way in the parking lot I could smell the food. I was a little worried. But, my mouth instantly started watering. And the food did not let me down.
I have been hooked since.
We went home after eating, and the scent clung. I kept sniffing myself. Hahahah. I didn’t even want to wash my clothes, the smell made me happy. And hungry.
Trying Indian recipes at home
I have always been a little hesitant to try any recipes at home because I didn’t want to make my whole house smell. I am happy to report that the scent, while delicious, fades quickly and won’t leave you feeling like you are living in an Indian restaurant kitchen.
Rich and full flavors layered upon each other make for a rich spice filled experience
You will enjoy every bite of Indian Butter Chicken. Every spicy and delicious bite. And when I say spicy, I don’t mean hot, heat, make your mouth burn spicy. I mean layer upon layer of flavor–spicy.
Often when I am recipe testing, I make the same recipe over and over with slight tweaks, and my family gets sick of it fast. This recipe is one of the few they still want to eat. Sure, they don’t want it every single night. But I made Indian Butter Chicken a week ago, and they gobbled it right up.
Butter Chicken Needs:
- The basics: Chicken, Rice, Tomatoes, and spices you probably have on hand.
- Tumeric– A spice you can pick up at most grocery stores, but you may not regularly keep it on hand.
- Garam Masala- I use this one, I got on Amazon, and it is awesome.
- Heavy Cream- This is what makes it so rich and creamy.
- Cilantro- This is a garnish, but it adds a depth of flavor, so don’t skip it!
Take a look at some other chicken recipes that you may want to try:
- Pollo Saltado (Chicken Stir Fry)
- Chicken Enchilada Meal Prep Bowls
- Kung Pao Chicken ( Pressure Cooker)
- Chicken Sausage and Peas Alfredo-Pesto Skillet Pasta
- Sticky Chicken Bites
Are you looking for an easy weeknight dinner solution?
Try the Eazy Peazy Mealz Recipe Binder: Get a printable version of all our favorite recipes in one convenient e-book for only $5!
Plus, you’ll get so much more, from conversion charts and tips, to meal planning worksheets and shopping lists. 200 + pages to make your weeknights easier.
⇒ ⇒ Get it here ⇐ ⇐
Indian Butter Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs boneless and skinless or chicken breast (boneless and skinless) cut into pieces.
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup sour cream or plain greek style yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbs ginger paste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1 Tbs white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cut chicken into pieces, and season with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream or plain yogurt with the lemon juice, tumeric, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, ginger paste, minced garlic, and toss with chunked up chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Preferably longer.
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter over high heat in a large fry pan.
- Add the chicken coated in the Marinade and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flipping once.
- Add the pureed tomato, sugar and salt. Stir to combine.
- Turn down to low and cover with lid. Let simmer for 20 minutes if using chicken thighs, 15 minutes if using chicken breasts.
- Add the cream, and stir well.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Chicken Board on Pinterest: