Cowboy Caviar, a deliciously easy bean salsa, loaded with peppers, tomatoes, corn, and avocado, and served with tortilla chips. A great appetizer or snack!
Salsa is a go-to for us and we can’t complain when there are chips and dip near by. Try these salsa recipes for your next family night in: Cowboy Caviar Salsa, Bean Salsa with Honey Lime Vinaigrette, Mango Avocado Salsa or Restaurant Style Blender Salsa.
This is one of my all time favorite things to eat. I love making a big bowl full, and enjoying it on summer nights while playing UNO, or watching a movie.
It doesn’t hurt that my kids love it, and it is super easy to make.
I serve this as a “salsa” with chips, but it is also amazing in tacos, on top of salad, or plain. What’s your favorite way to eat CowBoy Caviar?
Can I make ahead
Yes! You can make it up to 4 hours ahead, reserving the avocado for right before you serve it.
It can get a little watery if you make it too early.
What goes good with this recipe
Mexican food is always fun to go with this dip.
Your family will love all the flavors in each dish!
Can I freeze it?
Unfortunately, no this is not a great dip to freeze and have again. It will be too watery and not taste fresh.
One of the beauties of this dish, is you can add in or leave out according to your preference, sometimes I add in cucumber chunks or kidney beans.
Mix and match fresh vegetables that you enjoy! Let me know the way you like your Cowboy Caviar!
What chip is best?
I always say the saltier the better! haha, I do love a good salted chip on dip like this. It is a little salty and sweet vegetable combination.
As a tip I encourage you not to add any salt. It may taste like it needs some, but typically chips are salty, which makes this particular dip too salty if you add salt.
If serving it without chips, or with salt free chips, include a pinch of salt to taste.
Try these dips for your next party night
Salsa is an easy go to but these are nice creamy, comforting dips that go well with vegetables, bread or chips!
- Best Ever Layered Bean Dip
- Spinach Artichoke dip Baked Chicken
- Classic 7 Layer Dip Upgraded
- Caprese Baked Cheese Dip
- Cheddar Bacon Jalapeño Baked Cheese Dip in Bread Bowl
- 1 lb roma tomatoes deseeded and diced
- 1/2 a red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 ounces black-eye peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can sweet corn drained
- 1 bunch cilantro washed, and chopped small
- 1 cup red onion diced small
- 2-3 avocados pitted and diced
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Onion powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 Tbs lime juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine all ingredients for salad except avocados (tomatoes, beans, corn, bell peppers, cilantro and red onion) in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together dressing ingredients
- Pour half the dressing over the salad ingredients, and toss to combine it all. refrigerate until ready to serve
- Just before serving, add diced avocado, and remaining dressing. Toss well
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dips and Appetizers board: