A delicious recipe packed with flavor and healthy ingredients. This easy breakfast granola is great to make ahead and enjoy. This is crunchy, sweet, salty, roasted and Oh. So. Good! It is great for kick-starting metabolism, keeping blood sugar level, and all the rest.
I have my mom to thank for this granola recipe. She used to make this often and I always loved it! I knew it was time for me to make it my own and create my favorite granola. There are so many options you can make with this granola. Add in the ingredients you love and leave out the things you prefer not to have. This is a simple recipe that can be made ahead and even frozen for later.
What you need to make granola:
I want to emphasize that this is very customizable. I am not a huge walnut fan, I mean I like walnut shrimp, but walnuts in a granola- no thanks! So I leave it out. On the other hand I LOVE almonds, so I add extras in.
- Whole Wheat flour: My favorite wheat flour is: Organic Whole Wheat Flour. I buy it on Amazon. It is perfect for recipes like this that only call for a little wheat flour. I have a grinder, and often grind my own, especially if I am baking. But like to have some on hand for when I just don’t have time to grind. If I was smart I would keep some ground, but when it runs out, this is what I use.
- Regular rolled oats: has a sweet, soft texture that blends well.
- Wheat germ: Wheat Germ is a great extra to add in for just that kick of health. This is a great option for Natural Raw Wheat Germ.
- Add-ins: Almonds, walnuts, pecans, raisins, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds (leave out any you do not like).
- Vanilla: makes everything better, I always think!
- Cinnamon: adds intense flavor.
- Nutmeg: brings out the nuttiness in each of the nuts you choose.
- Olive oil: helps bake up nicely and has a crisp-like texture.
- Honey: I like to get my honey locally, and buy the rest of my ingredients at the regular grocery store!
Like I said above, it is my mom’s recipe, and I have to confess, I usually just ask my mom to make it for me, and trade her for something I like to make.
However, it is an easy, tasty recipe. So give it a try!
Just keep in mind that this will lasts longer if you keep it refrigerated, so make a nice big batch!
- Mix ingredients together: Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Spread onto large baking sheet.
- Bake granola on a baking sheet: Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 mins. Stir every 5-8 mins.
- Let cool completely: Store in airtight container.
The add-ins are endless! There are so many options to add in or substitute. Just make it your own! This granola recipe is perfect for mixing in with your favorite yogurt and/or fresh berries.
- Chocolate chips
- Dried fruit
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chia seeds
Ways to eat it:
You can do SO much with granola.
Add it with fruit, creamy yogurts, oatmeal or just a handful of plain goodness!
There are so many options and ideas that makes it endless.
It is a sweet and flavorful and simply delicious!
- Yogurt with fresh fruit: My Fave!!
- Oatmeal or overnight oats
- Smoothies or smoothie bowls
- Bowl of milk and some granola similar to a cereal
- Top your mini muffin tin caramel apple pie bites or peach cobbler with some granola
- Grab a handful for just a plain, easy go-to snack.
- Enjoy breakfast popsicles
- Sprinkle on top of Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- Grab and Go Breakfast Cookies
This granola is great to have in stock on your pantry! I love to make a big batch and store it for easy access. It always comes in handy while I am baking or cooking things up. Breakfast time usually gets the most use with this granola and we all love a quick snack at the end of the day.
Room Temperature: after it has cooled add the granola to an airtight container or ziplock bag. This will last for about 1 month keeping the granola in a room temperature area.
Refrigerated: you do not need to refrigerate your granola. If you prefer to just let sit out a bit before enjoying.
Freezing: after it has cooled add the granola in an airtight container or ziplock bag. This will freeze for 3 months.
Explore Similar Recipes:
Use your homemade granola in so many ways!
We love to bake and cook with ours and make so many fun snacks, treats and even dinners!
- Easy Chocolate Dipped Granola Bars
- No Bake M&M’s Granola Bars
- Berry Granola Popsicles
- Baked Granola Crusted Raspberry Pomegranate Chicken
- Grilled Breakfast Nectarines with Greek Yogurt, Granola and Honey
Super Granola Mix
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 4 c regular rolled oats
- 2 c wheat germ optional
- 1 c each: almonds walnuts pecans, raisins, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds (leave out any you do not like)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp cinnamon less or more to taste
- 1.5 tsp nutmeg less or more to taste
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1 c honey
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl
- Spread onto large baking sheet
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 mins
- Stir every 5-8 mins
- Store in airtight container
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.