Homemade Spaghetti Sauce:
This spaghetti sauce has a robust flavor, is easy to make, uses easy to find ingredients, and is absolutely delicious.
This sauce will turn your Homemade Spaghetti dish into a hit at any meal. With simple ingredients, this is an Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce made from scratch. Add this sauce to any pasta dish to make an instant classic. Serve with this tasty Garlic Bread and Caesar Salad for a complete meal.
When it comes to pasta sauce, I am a snob. I want the best homemade spaghetti sauce possible, but I am also very busy! I am all for making pasta sauce from scratch, but even if it is homemade, I want it to be easy. This recipe is very simple with common ingredients, can be made ahead, freezes beautifully, and is my Italian
Making Homemade Spaghetti Sauce ahead of time
This spaghetti sauce is one of my favorite things to make. It can be easily frozen, or canned to use later. I love making a big batch of it at the start of the month, then using it through the month. Prepping ahead saves me time on busy days, and this one is perfect because it can be used in recipes like:
Or you can use it as spaghetti sauce, and eat it with your favorite noodles or zoodles.
There are no real tricks for making it ahead. You make it the same way. The trick is in how you store it. If you plan to freeze it, you want to make sure it is completely cooled before you freeze it.
How do you make homemade spaghetti sauce from scratch?
- Start with great ingredients: Canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, herbs and spices.
- Let it all simmer! The key to a great spaghetti sauce is giving it time to let those flavors really meld together. Thus, the simmer time, which also reduces the sauce and helps it thicken, is key to amazing flavor and consistency. Its best to simmer in a thick bottom dutch oven pot, this one is my favorite.
What can you put in your homemade spaghetti sauce?
One of the things I absolutely love about this recipe is it is so easy to customize. Want ground meat in your sauce? Add some. Want vegetables? Add some. Want a little extra garlic flavor? This sauce is a fantastic base to add whatever makes you happy. Here are a few suggestions:
- Italian sausage, brown ground sausage, drain the fat, and add it to your homemade spaghetti sauce during the last hour of simmer.
- Carrots and zucchini. Add them when you add the onions, dice them small, or use a grater to grate them. They add amazing flavor.
- Mushrooms! I love adding mushrooms to my sauce. Great when added at the same time as the onions.
- Whatever you like in your sauce.
What spices do you use in Homemade Spaghetti Sauce?
Usually you use the regular line up of Italian seasonings. For this recipe, I love adding a few extras in.
The reality is, this is your sauce, so what spices do you like? Start with my suggestions in the recipe card below, and add or subtract to your preference. I like a lot of spices in my sauce, but if you want less spices feel free to cut down the amounts.
What vegetables can you put in your homemade spaghetti sauce?
I don’t put anything other than garlic and onion in for the sauce if I am making it to can or freeze. But when I whip up a dinner with it I will often add carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms.
That is my favorite combination.
But the nice thing about this sauce is it is super versatile, so add or subtract what you like in your spaghetti sauce.
That might be ground beef or sausage (obviously these are not vegetables). It might be eggplant. What do you prefer?
Choose Highest Quality Ingredients
- Red Pack Tomatoes are rated the #1 canned tomato by Epicurious, even over San Marzano and Cento Organic tomatoes. What are your favorite canned tomatoes?
- Cold-Pressed, Colavita Premium Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil is an exceptional Italian olive oil.
- When it comes to garlic, nothing beats fresh garlic; don’t go for the minced garlic in the jar. Go fresh! But the minced in the jar won’t kill your sauce if you choose to use that.
- For that pinch of salt, you’ve got to try Sherpa Himalayan Pink Salt, it is tasty stuff. Table salt will work too.
- Choose your fresh vegetable fresh, the day you are making your sauce. Choose the best that are available.
Make it a Complete Meal
Salad– A classic green salad or Italian Garden Salad is my favorite type of salad to serve with spaghetti, but go with what you love. Caesar would be good too.
Drink – My favorite beverage with spaghetti is Blackberry Mint Spritzer.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 Tbs minced garlic
- 4 cans Crushed Tomatoes 28 ounces each
- 1 can Tomato Paste 6 ounces
- 1/3 cup dried basil or 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped fine
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tsps Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated, or Romano Cheese
- Use a dutch oven or 5 qt pot and heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add finely chopped onion to the pot and saute for 10 minutes
- Add in minced garlic, saute for an additional minute until fragrant, but not brown.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, parsley, Italian seasoning, black pepper, balsamic, and honey.
- Stir well, and bring to a low boil
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes, uncovered, and stir often. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn, but make sure it simmers.
- Turn heat down further, cover pot, and let continue to simmer for another hour.
- Before serving, add in cheese, and any additional fresh basil.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti or your choice of noodles
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinner board on Pinterest: