Traditional Lasagna Recipe: Hot Italian sausage, rich, hearty caramelized onion and garlic red sauce, mushrooms, and petite diced tomatoes, with creamy ricotta cheese and mozzarella.
How to Make a Traditional Lasagna Recipe
©Eazy Peazy Mealz by EazyPeazyMealz.com
Pin it to your (Board Type) board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Are you guys just appalled that I don’t already have a traditional lasagna recipe on my site? Me too! With nearly 1200 recipes shared in my career as a food blogger, I can’t even believe I forgot to share such a standard and traditional recipe with you guys. I have lasagna soup, lasagna roll ups, and other lasagna inspired recipes, but no actual lasagna. But today I rectify that. Check out this easy video for making traditional lasagna:
My sister in law makes the best lasagna so I asked for her recipe. She said she pretty much just eye balls it. So I am sharing my version of hers. And when it comes to lasagna, there is a lot of cooking and chopping, and layering and work to do, and I am a bit of a lazy cook. So when it comes to sauce, I love a good jarred sauce to make life easier. I used a Caramelized Onion and Garlic Sauce from Mezzetta. It has tons of flavor, and is great for a lasagna. One jar is all you need. I usually double my batch with lasagna so I can make one for dinner, and one to stick in the freezer for a busy night.
I hope you will try that method, it really is nice to always have a back up plan in place for dinner. And my family is pretty much always happy with lasagna. If you want to add some variations to this particular recipe, feel free to omit mushrooms, add green peppers, add hamburger, or cottage cheese and customize as you see fit. This is a traditional recipe, and oh so tasty!
Other Wonderful Pasta Dishes
- Pasta Salad Lunch Ideas
- Chicken Sausage and Peas Alfredo Pesto Skillet Pasta
- Asparagus Shrimp Pasta Dinner
- Pasta E Fagioli (Soup)
- Greek Pasta Salad
Traditional Lasagna Recipe
- 9-12 cooked Lasagna Noodles
- 1 jar 25 oz roasted garlic and caramelized onions sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs hot Italian sausage browned and crumbled
- 8 ounces white mushrooms chopped
- 1 can 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 5 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat to 350 degrees
- Cook noodles according to package directions, and lay flat on wax paper
- Brown and crumble sausage over medium high heat in large skillet.
- In a large bowl mix ricotta, garlic salt, parsley, and eggs and 2 cups mozzarella cheese with a hand mixer until combined.
- Pour a little of the jarred sauce into a 9x13 foil pan.
- Layer noodles, cheese mixture, crumbled sausage, white mushrooms, petite diced tomatoes, additional cheese, and sauce. You should get 3 layers, the top layer should be noodles, sauce, then about 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover lasagna with foil.
- Bake for 50 mins, remove foil, and bake additional 10 mins to brown the cheese.
- Let rest 5-10 mins, and serve.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your dinner board: