This shrimp fried rice is easy enough for a midweek meal, but fun and fancy enough for company. It is packed with flavor, but comes together quick and is also totally customizable.
Can I just say this is one of my favorite recipes of all time. It is hard to say something like that because I feel like I am choosing a favorite child. But here’s the thing…it is just that good!
It was kind of an accident recipe. My son goes to some tutoring after school, and it is only 45 minutes, so I usually drop him off and head to the grocery store around the corner to kill time while I wait for him to get out. Well, one day while browsing the aisles, the loud speaker came on, and jumbo shrimp was on sale! It is already on sale, plus an extra 25% off. I couldn’t help myself. I bought a bunch.
And shrimp has to be used up really fast. So I made shrimp sweet and sour, which I am sure I will eventually share the recipe for. It was great. But the next day I still had 2 pounds of shrimp. We had leftover rice from the sweet and sour, so I thought, “Hmmm, I should make shrimp fried rice.” My in-laws were stopping in for lunch, so I crossed my fingers, hoped it was good, and put take-out on speed dial just in case.
It was so awesome we literally ate the whole pan…with just 4 adults. That is half a pound of shrimp each, plus veggies and rice. We are pigs. In fact, watching myself on this video made me realize I need to probably stick to my New Year’s resolutions. Eek.
Another awesome thing about this recipe is it is totally customizable. Hate shrimp, fine, use chicken! Feel free to add in a different protein, or use different vegetables if you would like. The flavor on the sauce is what makes this fried rice awesome.
Super Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 1/2-2 pounds jumbo shrimp
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 4 cups day old white long grain rice
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 3 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs Oyster Sauce
- 1/4 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp or more Sriracha
- 1 Tbs honey
- Add 1 tbs butter and garlic to a wok or large skillet and saute over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Add clean, deveined jumbo shrimp to the skillet and cook until pink
- Remove shrimp from pan when pink and set aside
- Add 1/2 tbs butter to skillet and crack 2 eggs into the pan, and scramble, cook until done
- Add the eggs to the same bowl as the shrimp and set aside.
- Mix together sauce ingredients
- Add vegetables and stir fry for a minute or two
- Add in your day old rice, and stir to coat well with the sauce, cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the shrimp and eggs, and stir well to incorporate.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.