This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Dr Pepper. All opinions are my own. #OneOfAKindFan
Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce Little Smokies
Dr Pepper BBQ Little Smokies is a sweet sauce glazed little smokies, prepared in the slow cooker, and perfect for enjoying while watching your favorite college football team play!
I was looking for a way to use Dr Pepper in a football friendly food, and found this sweet sauce made by Elizabeth Karmel so I thought I would give it a try.
I adapted it for our tastes, and then simmered little smokies, or mini sausages in it in a slow cooker so they would stay nice and hot and yummy, and be ready for game time!
And so, Dr Pepper BBQ sauce, poured on little smokies, then cooked in a slow cooker! Delicious.
Football season is here and I need all things food to survive most weekends. haha. Try these sides to enjoy during game time: Dill dip, Buffalo Wings, Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos or Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini bell Peppers.
Let’s talk about football for a minute, I like-ish football. Really, I like the food associated with football.
But at my house, I am over-ruled. The boys in this house love sports! So Saturdays at our house always involve football.
If our local college football team is playing, we are watching. So I figured if my Saturday is going to consist of a lot of watching, it better also have something really tasty and fun to eat while we watch. Yes…my life does revolve around food.
By now you probably already know how much I love Dr Pepper. Lurve it! For reals though. It is my favorite. There are days when I have to remind myself to drink water too.
So I decided to combine my love of food and my love of Dr Pepper and make something extra delicious–Dr Pepper BBQ sauce!
What you need to make lil smokies
- Yellow onion- chopped
- Garlic- minced
- Chili sauce- prepared chili sauce
- Dr Pepper- not diet!
- Apple Cider vinegar- Braggs
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brown sugar
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Hot sauce- to your liking
- Mini sausages- also known as Lil Smokies
Football season is about to start and like I said I like it but I love the food a little more.
To get me through this season of sports and tv watching all day long I try and plan ahead.
Lil smokies are a common snack to have and I just love the flavoring this Dr Pepper BBQ sauce has on them. It is rich and tangy.
And so easy to make. You can beat that.
Here’s how to make it:
- Head to Target or and pick up some Dr Pepper. Then gather up your ingredients. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan (time for a new one?).
- Then add in your garlic and onion, and saute it! This takes like 8-10 minutes.
- Pour in the Dr Pepper, and put the rest of your ingredients in the same pot, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree in a blender. Then you have this lovely sauce, but it will need to thicken. It will do this inside your slow cooker.
- At this point, put your little smokies (small sausages) in a slow cooker, pour your sauce over them.
- Let the sausages simmer in the sauce in the slow cooker for 2-3 hours.
Other varieties of BBQ sauce
Then enjoy while watching a game! It is an easy, delicious recipe. And the BBQ sauce can be used on more than just the smokies.
Try it on Ribs! Or Chicken! Or dip vegetables in it! Yum!
Can you make this ahead of time?
These lil smokies can be made ahead of time.
Can you cook them in the oven?
There are a few ways of cooking lil smokies. The crock pot is my favorite way. But you can cook in the oven as well.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes.
Are lil smokies pre-cooked?
Oh, Yes! The lil smokies are fully cooked ahead of time and then packaged tightly for consumers. That is partly why this recipe is easier.
Since the smokies are fully cooked, all you need to do is let them marinate in the sauce while they heat up.
It should only take about an hour or two for the lil smokies to warm up in the crockpot.
Let the Crock Pot do all the work!
How long do lil smokies last in the refrigerator?
We have not encountered having left over lil smokies. But if that does happen to you, they are great to keep in an airtight container that is left in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
When ready to reheat, simply microwave for 1-2 minutes or cook in a pot on the stove until warm.
Looking for dinner ideas?
For a quick and simple meal that is totally kid approved try adding an extra side dish to complete this meal!
Make this a meal with these simple recipes to go along with these lil smokies! YUM!
- Creamy Mac and Cheese Casserole
- Roasted Greek Vegetables or Roasted Vegetables
- Easy Rice Pilaf
- Balsamic Roasted Carros and Parsnips
- Sweet Potato Fries or Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Other Game Day Foods!
- 5 Secrets to the Best Family Friendly Football Party
- Football Stadium Sugar Cookie Bars
- Super Bowl Appetizer Round-up
- Sweet Sloppy Joe Nachos
Dr Pepper BBQ Little Smokies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 Tbs garlic minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbs chili sauce prepared chili sauce
- 12 ounces Dr Pepper 1 can
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar Braggs
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs molasses
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbs hot sauce adjust according to heat preference
- 28 ounces mini sausages "Little Smokies"
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Then add in your garlic and onion and saute it until translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Put the rest of your ingredients in the same pot, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree in a blender. The sauce is not as thick as it will be, don't worry. If planning to use it for something other than the little smokies, turn it down and cook for another 20-30 minutes until desired thickness is achieved.
- Otherwise, put the mini sausages in a slow cooker
- Pour BBQ sauce over the top.
- Cook for 2-4 hours on high temperature.
- Serve warm!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Find more delicious ways to use Dr Pepper here.
Anyway, it is delicious, and you can pick your Dr Pepper up at Target. And you can use the Cartwheel offer for Dr Pepper to save money! From Nov. 1 – Dec. 12, use Cartwheel to receive 5% off of 12-packs and 2-liters of Dr Pepper or 10% off of 6 or 8-packs of bottles and cans. #COLLECTIVEBIAS
And speaking of money… From Nov. 2 – Dec. 13, those who upload an Instagram photo showing how they are a #OneOfAKindFan of Dr Pepper will be entered for a chance to win a $100 Target GiftCard™. A winner will be awarded each week. Must be 18 or older to enter.
Dr Pepper #OneOfAKindFan Photo Sweepstakes
David @ Spiced says
Nancy | The Bitter Side of Sweet says
Cathy Trochelman says