Enchilada sauce made from scratch ALWAYS beats that from a can. However, this is about easy, so you can bet that while not as simple as opening a can, this recipe is easy. If you think about the work it takes to get a can of enchilada sauce, time and effort, this recipe is actually easier, unless you are ordering online. One note, I am a big lover of Cumin, so feel free to adjust to your tastes, use less cumin if you aren’t as fond of it as I am. Also, if you make your broth from bullion, remember it will be saltier, so use less, or it will be too salty!
- 2 Tbs light olive oil
- 2 Tbs flour whole wheat works great
- 4 Tbs chili powder if using a hot chili powder, adjust according to taste
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 c chicken or vegetable broth
- Heat oil in saucepan on medium heat
- Stir in flour
- Add in all spices, stirring well.
- Slowly stir in chicken or vegetable broth
- Let thicken
First add oil and flour: