Enchilada sauce made from scratch ALWAYS beats that from a can. However, this is about easy, so you can bet that while not as simple as opening a can, this recipe is easy. If you think about the work it takes to get a can of enchilada sauce, time and effort, this recipe is actually easier, unless you are ordering online. One note, I am a big lover of Cumin, so feel free to adjust to your tastes, use less cumin if you aren’t as fond of it as I am. Also, if you make your broth from bullion, remember it will be saltier, so use less, or it will be too salty!
- 2 Tbs light olive oil
- 2 Tbs flour whole wheat works great
- 4 Tbs chili powder if using a hot chili powder, adjust according to taste
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 c chicken or vegetable broth
- Heat oil in saucepan on medium heat
- Stir in flour
- Add in all spices, stirring well.
- Slowly stir in chicken or vegetable broth
- Let thicken
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
First add oil and flour: