Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket
You do not have to have a smoker to make great brisket. You can totally make delicious, tender, amazing beef brisket right in your oven.
I’m sharing all the secrets to perfectly seasoned Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket dressed in a flavorful barbecue sauce mixture. This recipe is mouthwateringly good.
Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket is a favorite at our house because not only is it so tasty, it makes for great leftover sandwiches too! It is so good piled high with coleslaw, and on toasty bread. Yum!
Although I really love recipes that use the smoker like Smoked Pulled Pork- Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt, sometimes I want some oven cooking and don’t feel like stepping outside to use the grill or smoker. Days like these are perfect for Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket.
What You Need to Make Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket
What’s holding you back from making this mouth watering dish? Not only is it easy to make, and takes very little hands on work, it only requires a handful of ingredients my friends. And chances are you have most of the spice rub ingredients already in your pantry.
- 4-5 Pound Beef Brisket
- BBQ Sauce
Spice Rub Mixture:
- Brown Sugar
- Dry Mustard
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
How to Make Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket
Time needed: 5 hours and 30 minutes.
Get ready for a great meal. Preheat the oven with the rack in the upper middle position. Then mix the ingredients for the spice rub and place bacon strips on the bottom of the pan. Rub roast with spice mixture, transfer roast to the pan, top with bacon, and cook. Then partially through cooking, flip the roast. Once done with the cook time, let the roast sit in the warm oven. Then discard the bacon and make the sauce with drippings and barbecue sauce. Brush roast with sauce and broil. Lastly let the roast sit, then slice, and serve with more sauce. Yummy, yummy.
- Preheat Oven.
Place the rack in the upper-middle position and preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Combine Spice Rub Mixture.
In a bowl, whisk together all of the spice rub mixture ingredients.
- Place Bacon Strips at the Bottom of the Pan.
Use a 9×13 baking dish, and criss cross half the bacon strips over the bottom of the dish.
- Prep the Brisket.
Trim brisket so the remaining fat is ¼ of an inch. Then with a fork prick the brisket all over.
- Coat Roast with Spice Rub.
Rub the roast with the spice rub. Make sure it is completely coated.
- Transfer Roast to Dish and Top with Bacon.
Transfer the roast to the baking dish, having it sit on top of bacon, fat side down. Top roast with the rest of the bacon strips.
- Cover and Cook.
Cover with aluminum foil and cook.
- Turn Roast Over and Continue Cooking.
Remove dish from oven, flip the roast over, place foil back over roast. And return to the oven.
- Turn Off Oven and Let Roast Sit.
Turn the oven off, letting roast sit in the warm oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Drain Juices and Discard Bacon.
After 1 hour, drain juices off the roast and remove bacon.
- Cook Sauce.
Add drained juices to the BBQ sauce of choice, and heat in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Brush Roast with Sauce and Broil.
Turn the oven on to broil, and place roast back into the baking dish. Brush roast with some of the sauce.
Broil until top is lightly charred and fat is crisp.
- Let Roast Rest, Slice, and Serve with Sauce.
Transfer the roast to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then slice against the grain into ¼ inch thick slices.
Lastly, serve with remaining sauce.
Tips and Tricks for making Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy but here are some helpful tips and tricks for making this recipe…
- Don’t Skip Letting the Roast Rest: Letting the roast rest before slicing, let’s the juices stay intact so you will have the most tender, juiciest of slices.
- How Much Beef Is Enough? ½ Pound Per Person: Plan on a half pound of uncooked meat per individual. You can probably get away with less meat when serving kids.
- Stretch the Meal with Sides: If you’re worried you don’t have enough meat, stretch a meal out with multiple sides like Mom’s Dinner Rolls , Super Easy Mashed Potatoes, and Roasted Carrots.
- Make Yummy Leftover Sandwiches: Lucky enough to have leftovers? Have a fancy lunch or easy dinner with some elevated sandwiches like beef brisket sandwiches or paninis.
- Cook Whole Brisket at Once: Even though a brisket can be big, do not break it into pieces to cook. It won’t be as juicy and tender cooked that way.
Make Ahead and Storage
- Follow directions like normal.
- Store brisket in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Place brisket slices in foil when ready to reheat.
- Reheat foil wrapped slices in the oven at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes.
- Freeze brisket in sauce for up to 2 months in the freezer.
- Wrap meat first with plastic wrap and then put in an airtight container.
- Defrost in the fridge and follow heating instructions from above.
Made ahead or fresh, I can’t wait for you to try this recipe!
Other Great Recipes:
- Classic Roast Beef with Gravy
- Roast Turkey Breast
- Smoked BBQ Pork Loin
- Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Veggies (Keto)
- Baby Back Ribs
Oven-Barbecued Beef Brisket
- 4-5 pound Beef Brisket flat cut, fat trimmed to ¼ inch
- 1 pound Bacon
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ Sauce of choice
Spice Rub Mixture
- 4 teaspoons Brown Sugar
- 4 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Parsley
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F and place rack in upper-middle position.
- In a bowl, combine all of the spice rub mixture ingredients, and whisk together until there are no lumps.
- Take a 9x13 baking dish, and criss cross half the bacon strips over the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- Trim brisket so fat is only ¼ inch, then use a fork and prick the brisket all over.
- Rub the roast with the spice rub, until completely coated
- Place roast on top of bacon in the baking dish, fat side down, and place the other bacon strips on top of the roast, tucking any ends underneath the roast.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 4 hours, until a fork can easily piece and slip in and out of the beef.
- Remove dish from oven, flip the roast over, place foil back over roast. And return to the oven.
- Turn oven off, and let roast rest in warm oven for approximately 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, drain juices off the roast, and set aside.
- Remove bacon, and discard.
- Combine reserved juices with BBQ sauce of choice, and heat in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until reduced about 10 minutes.
- Turn oven on to broil, and place roast back into now empty baking dish. Brush roast with 1 cup of the sauce.
- Broil until top is lightly charred and fat is crisp, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board, rest for 5 minutes, then slice against the grain into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Serve with remaining sauce.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinners board on Pinterest: