This Sweet Chili has tons of flavor and takes very little work. Sweet and smokey flavors made with onions, peppers, ground beef, kidney beans, hot sauce, spices and more.
It is officially chili season around here. I am pretty sure eating chili or having a chili cook off is a tradition associated with Fall in all parts of the US. Am I right?
Well, I hate to buck tradition, but we are just not chili lovers over here.
I know, I know…maybe that is because I have not tried your chili recipe. It is the world’s best…right? I mean, c’mon guys, not everyone can have the world’s best chili. It is like in Elf where the coffee shop claims to have the best coffee. It just isn’t true. Most of the time it is subpar, or even disappointing.
It is all about the expectations, right? When you go to a movie without expectations you enjoy it. But if you hear it is so amazing, you inevitably find it be less than great! I swear this is a real thing. Not just me. Or maybe it is just me. But the thing is this, I really don’t love chili in general, so even though everyone under the sun has the best chili recipe ever, it is still chili. And therefore, not going to be my favorite.
Since we are just not big chili eaters, to date I have never posted a chili recipe on the blog. I love Taco Soup and will eat that all day long, so not sure what it is about chili.
Corn Bread And Chili Go Hand In Hand
However, the other day I posted corn bread. An amazing cheddar jalapeno cornbread. And well, since cornbread and chili just seem to go hand in hand, I thought it only right that I make chili. I looked over all the “BEST EVER” recipes out there, and none of them caught my fancy. So instead, I opted for a Sweet Chili. And I really enjoyed it. My kids ate it. My husband had some, not a lot, but he REALLY hates chili. Guys, I had it like 3 days in a row. It is pretty good stuff, and if you like chili, probably pretty GREAT stuff.
This Sweet Chili has a sweet flavor, and a smokey undertone. I think that is what made it different enough I could get my kids to try it. And yummy enough that I did not mind leftovers two days in a row. This Sweet Chili recipe makes a lot, so keep that in mind. But it freezes really well, and is great for sharing, so there is that too!
Anyway, Sweet Chili has a lot of ingredients, and it is best if it can simmer for a while to let all the flavors meld, so make it a day ahead if you have the time, if not, give it at least 20 minutes to half an hour to simmer. It’s fun to serve Sweet Chili in mugs and these CorningWare mugs have a vent-able lid and can be used in the microwave or the oven.
More Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Bacon Broccoli & Cheddar Wild Rice Soup
- Crockpot Beef And Vegetable Soup
- Steak Tortilla Soup
- Easy Meatball Soup
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 big yellow onion chopped small
- 2 green peppers chopped small
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1-55 ounce can Bush's Baked Beans original
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 1 10.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1- 12 ounce bottle chili sauce
- 1 tsp- 2 Tbs hot sauce Depending on personal preference
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1/2 Tbs cumin
- 1/2 Tbs garlic granules
- 1/2 Tbs onion powder
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet, and add in chopped onion, and green peppers.
- Saute 2 minutes, then put in big soup pot.
- Brown ground beef in the skillet used for onions and peppers, over medium-high heat.
- Add all other ingredients into the big soup pot, and stir well. I like to make a lot of my soups and now this Sweet Chili in a Dutch Oven, for some reason it makes me feel warm and cozy.
- Heat oven medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Let boil 2-3 minutes, stir regularly
- Add in ground beef
- Turn down and let simmer at least 20 minutes.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
A Chili Our Family Actually Likes
So while I will not claim this to be the “world’s best” it is good Sweet Chili, and one I actually like. Hope you like it as much as we do!
And if you don’t, here are a few other yummy soups you can enjoy: