This post first appeared on Real Housemoms where I am a contributor.
Creamy Red Curry Chicken
Creamy Red Curry Chicken is a flavorful curry dish that offers a little heat, and a lot of delicious flavor.
It starts with a red curry paste, has coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, and plenty of fresh basil, cilantro, and even crushed peanuts. This curry is easy to make and oh so yummy!
If you are a huge fan of curry like my husband and I you will love these recipes to try this simple and easy Thai Red Curry Marinade, Mixed Vegetable Chicken Curry, Green Curry or Yellow Thai curry Chicken and Green Beans.
I have a very distinct memory of the first time I tried curry. The smell was wafting by, and as I walked up to the table, and my mouth started watering, and I knew I was going to love it.
And love it I did. I was not disappointed. Every mouthful made me happy, and I have been a curry lover ever since.
My husband is also a huge fan of curry. He prefers yellow curry.
He served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Durban, South Africa, and ate a lot of yellow and potato curries while he lived there. And we have been on a hunt for good curry ever since.
- Curry is an Indian spice, and the red curry gets it’s color from dried red chili peppers and often tumeric. It compliments a bunch of different protein types, but I prefer it with chicken.
- It can be spicy, but typically if you don’t use too much it adds a lovely depth of flavor, with only a subtle hint of heat.
- Creamy Red Curry Chicken starts with the Red Curry Paste which is made by blending herbs and spices with shrimp paste.
- The dominated flavor is from different kinds of red chili and shallot.
- Red curry paste is a staple ingredient in Thai curries and fried dishes, and is used both with and without coconut milk. I prefer it with, as it makes it a little less spicy, and way more kid friendly.
- Red curry paste seems to be the easiest to find. Most grocery stores carry it, and you can order it on Amazon too. My favorite brands of red curry paste that you can find easily are Mae Ploy and Thai Kitchens.
- My children loved this Creamy Red Curry Chicken, but did say it had a little heat? So, use less curry paste, or more coconut milk to tone it down a little, and taste as you go to insure it is not too spicy for your family’s preference.
Make it a complete meal:
This is a great dish that can stand alone and doesn’t need anything along side of it! But I do love a good salad though. And this Superfoods Green Detox Salad or Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Salad hits the spot next to this Creamy Red Curry Chicken.
Then provide a sweet treat at the end with some Coconut Mango Rice Pudding that is dairy free. Together this meal will be flavorful and filling and that will leave everyone impressed and satisfied!
Love Thai food?! Try these delicious recipes:
Like I said above, we are huge Thai food lovers and curry is at the top of our list. These are great recipes that are quick and easy to make. But also has all the Thai flavoring you are hoping for!
- Easy Thai Coconut Chicken
- Thai Tuna Wonton Cups
- Thai Peanut Skillet Chicken
- Pad Thai Spring Rolls
- Thai Peanut Shrimp Noodle Bowl
Can you make this ahead of time? YES!
It is school time coming up and I just need easy recipes that are ready to go. My kids have several different schedules but eating together is a top priority in our home.
I love to make several meals on Sunday then each day take one out at a time to reheat when we are all together. This makes it easier on me and more time I get to spend with them around the dinner table hearing about their day.
This is a great meal prep recipe that we love to have on hand. This can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 7 days.
Freezing Red Curry
Freezer meals are a MUST to survive with 4 kids. I am so thankful for the lasting affects on freezer meals. And how easy they are to prepare.
This red curry chicken is great for freezing! It does slightly separate when reheating because of the coconut milk. Once it is warming up slowly stir it back together.
Freeze in airtight containers or ziplock baggies for best results. When reheating, the stove top is my preferred method.
Other Easy Chicken Dinner Options we Love:
- Pollo Saltado (Chicken Stir Fry)
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Kung Pao Chicken (Pressure Cooker)
- Sticky Chicken Bites
- Italian Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
Creamy Red Curry Chicken
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Lbs chicken thighs cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3/4 cup onions finely diced
- 1 Tbs garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste I used Mae Ploy brand
- 2 cans coconut milk 14 ounces each
- 3 Tbs lime juice
- 1 Tbs fish sauce
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt optional
- 1/2 cup fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- chili flakes *optional
- Crushed peanuts *optional
- In a heavy bottom skillet add 1 Tbs olive oil . I used this Anolon Skilletbecause I love the way that heats evenly and is metal utensil safe.
- Add chicken thighs, and brown by cooking for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pan.
- Add the onions to the skillet chicken was removed from and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and full fat coconut milk.
- Stir or whisk until paste and coconut are fully mixed together and smooth.
- Add the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil then add chicken thighs into the curry sauce. Cover and turn down to let simmer. Simmer 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add fresh basil and stir to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, chili flakes, and crushed peanuts
- Serve over rice or veggies
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your CHICKEN board on Pinterest: